2nd gen headlight upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen headlight upgrade

Hi -

I've recently purchased these black crystal headlights for my explorer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anzo-USA-11...ts=Model:Explorer&hash=item2a4cb1708a&vxp=mtr

The light output is terrible, the beam pattern is terrible and I'm past the return date for them. I've been doing lots of research on this lighting forum about good upgrades and it seems the consensus is to retrofit housings like the ones above for HID.

I don't have the time or skill to retrofit a housing so I'm looking for a good plug and play option. I'm looking at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Smoked-...ts=Model:Explorer&hash=item5411b7b001&vxp=mtr

I'm not really concerned about the halo ring, I just want good light output. Am I able to put a 4300k HID xenon bulb into the projector lens on these and if I do would the light output be decent? If anyone has done this do you have pictures of the light output?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Sorry if these questions have been asked. There is a lot of conflicting opinions and information out there and I'm just feeling kind of lost!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think those use regular type bulbs, so output would still be subpar. Just guessing though.

For HID, I think you are looking for something like these:

http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe95foexa.html

Keep in mind I have no experience with either of them. Hopefully, someone with them will chime in. I am not endorsing those headlights in that link. Just a reference to something to look at.

If you want decent light output, but without spending hundreds of dollars, you could try the "normal" (non-blacked-out) set of multi-reflector housings, or just a new set of the OE-style fluted lenses.

Combo those with decent Sylvania or Philips bulbs (9007 Xtravison is a good one to get) and you'll have good output.

Some people have been happy with certain projector lamps, but it may not be the same ones you have listed. Quality varies dramatically between manufacturers, and, as you have found out, light output suffers greatly.

You should probably read threads in this lighting forum and the 95-01 forum about which lamps are good and which sellers are the ones to get them from.

Whatever you do, DON'T stick fake "HID" bulbs in halogen lamps! It's illegal and unsafe.

You might consider returning the items via ebay's item-not-as-advertised customer satisfaction guarantee, which is longer (60 days) than the seller-given 14 or 30 day return period, or going through paypal, which has a 120 day return period. Either way you can get your money back and have the seller pay for the return shipping.

I assume you sighted them in properly? I retrofitted my '98 with ANZO lenses and the beam pattern was ALL out of whack until I aimed them properly. That, and I did retrofit with Sylvania UltraStars. With proper aim and better bulbs they seem fine.

I got the ones with the same size halos and Amber light in the corner. If you look at the link to protuninglabs above, they are the pair on the blue Eddie Bauer. The ones on the white ex are different. I remember hearing people say that fitment was better with the pair on the white ex but I like the look of mine more (and they were cheaper).

Odd.. I have the same lights and have no problems with them.

Light output and aim compared to stock is incredibly better.

6f1noegl.jpg

Odd.. I have the same lights and have no problems with them.

Light output and aim compared to stock is incredibly better.

6f1noegl.jpg

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I was on vacation and am just now getting back to this post. Maybe I'll try upgrading the bulbs.... my lights don't look near as bright as DjDom's do. Maybe I'll grab a picture tonight to post on the forum.

I'm not sure if that pic was taken with HIDs or not. I think it may be HIDs. I have GE Nighthawks in there right now, also bright.

Yeah, those aren't the HIDs, they're the Nighthawk bulbs. Picture was taken after I pulled them out.

Yeah, these housings are so much better than stock. You may have old bulbs? Sometimes the problem is just having really old bulbs. I had stock bulbs (I'm not kidding, the bulbs from 97 were still in there) in the factory housings and put in the new bulbs. Quite a difference. Then put these housings on with the stock bulb in one and GE Nighthawk in the other, the difference is insane..

Edit: Put one of each in to compare.. by no means am I running them like that.

Finally snapped some pictures...

terrible beam pattern:

20150310_214107_LLS.jpg

Driver side light:
20150310_214207_LLS.jpg

Passenger side light:
20150310_214140_LLS.jpg

You can see its pretty lousy output... the headlight bulbs did come with the housing so maybe I'll try swapping those first. The amber ones however were from autozone and barely light up the housing so it makes wonder if new headlight bulbs will provide much improvement.

Morimoto H1s

Whoops, sorry just saw what you said about retrofitting

Back