2nd gen hid retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen hid retrofit

I kinda weenied out and paid a pro to do this for me. Really, after pricing out the materials against having it done for me, it made sense.

There was also the risk of making a bad cut, or ruining them some other way.

55watt hid's with the low/high solenoid. High quality parts used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqJk7KNEbFk

Attachments

• DSCN5455.jpg
    DSCN5455.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 990

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking into buying something like this but his website won't give much info's. How much did the complete set cost you?

Lights

Do you have them installed yet?
Pictures please!!!!
Looks awesome so far.

How much did it cost you?

Well, It was 455usd + halo's (75.00) + shipping
They are shipping out of California, so they will take some time to get to me in Winterpeg. Hopefully I can get them installed before Christmas.

They look like a first class job, and looking at the workman ship, Id say it was worth it.

communication was always extremely prompt. Only possible issue is that Brian seems to be a bit of a perfectionist, so it takes him a long time to complete a set. Count on at least a 3 month turn around. No issues, and I never felt like I wouldn't get what I paid for, just a long turn around time. Brian is a Better Business Bureau member, and the only on-line complaints I could find was about turn around time. Quality and support was always first class.

I can hardly wait to get my mittens on them and install.

I'm not sure if people would want the halo, but I did for drl's (law in Canada) as I don't like my headlights on all the time. Kind of hard on the charging system.

Drl

I like halo's.
Good idea for daytime running lights too.
Cant wait to see pictures of them installed.

Random fact: DRLs in Canada aren't enforced..
I have seen tons of vehicles without them, AND, all Toronto Police Cruisers don't have DRLs...

But the Halos do look good.

Random fact: DRLs in Canada aren't enforced..
I have seen tons of vehicles without them, AND, all Toronto Police Cruisers don't have DRLs...

But the Halos do look good.

random fact correction. winnipeg has a little cash grab going called the v.i.u. (vehicle inspection unit) that will pull you over, and rake you over the coals. like someone was ticketed once for not having washer fluid in the washer fluid tank. they can hit you with what ever they feel like

and don, i never remember you saying you where getting them. will have to check them out when we do the other thing to your truck

Very nice!

Yes, DRL's are law in Canada, and enforced. Another friend of mine just came to work with a ticket in hand because his drl's were not working. Make no mistake, law enforcement is alive and well here in Winnipeg. Taxation thru enforcement. Our city is looking for revenue, and seem to think this is a great revenue source that no one can complain about.

dollar

Seems "they" are grabbing for every dollar.
Greed is growing out of control.
The they I speak of is all who are scrounging every buck from us they can.
My bank started charging me for using any atm that isn't theirs, even if the other atm doesn't charge any fees. Now I have to go to my bank to use an ATM. How is that convenient?
The police have stepped up patrol on the streets and ticket everyone they can.
I agree, taxation by enforcement.
Taxes keep going up and up too. So does gasoline.
I hope for a change.

Anyway, let us know how bright they are at night when you get them installed.
Looking forward to seeing another way to improve the Explorer.

random fact correction. winnipeg has a little cash grab going called the v.i.u. (vehicle inspection unit) that will pull you over, and rake you over the coals. like someone was ticketed once for not having washer fluid in the washer fluid tank. they can hit you with what ever they feel like

and don, i never remember you saying you where getting them. will have to check them out when we do the other thing to your truck

Wow, guess your cops are on heavy patrol for that.
Like I said, in Toronto, the Crown Vics don't have daytime running lights. I wonder if anyone who got pulled over for not having drls ever pointed that out to a cop in Toronto.
And I correct my 'random fact' to Toronto, not Canada in general.

Headlights showed up today. Looks first class.
I'll post pics of the back, and of the wiring harness supplied.

I can hardly wait to get my other explorer out of the garage so I can get started on my headlights.

They came eh?
Good to know.. I'm starting my trip to Winnipeg right now and stealing them..
So jealous. ;)

They came eh?
Good to know.. I'm starting my trip to Winnipeg right now and stealing them..
So jealous. ;)

Lmao I was gonna say im coming to steal them from you next but it would cost me more in fuel than the lights cost:D

ok guys, its disclaimer time.

I will only be using my truck off road, as modifying headlights voids the dot certification and these headlights are illegal to use on the street.

Just a friendly reminder.

Yea they probably wouldn't fly with the DMV here, I have been failed with the clear chrome anzos I have in now, De is one of the pain in the butt states, I had to go in and make a stuppervisor come out and look at the DOT number on the lights.

I actually don't see why the projectors would fail a check.
They are much better than putting HIDs in reflector housings..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, but you are modifying a dot approved headlight. Even if you are doing everything correctly, and safely, it still will not pass. There is no way I would go thru the process to get it approved. Even if you could, it would be very cost prohibitive.

I am, of course, going to make sure they are aimed correctly as to not blind drivers. Safety is extremely important. For me, and other vehicles on the road.

We don't have to go thru a check that extensive here, so I'm betting even on selling the vehicle there wouldn't be an issue. Technically, still not legal though.

Back