2nd gen puddle light wire (color and location) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen puddle light wire (color and location)

I would think this information already exists somewhere else, but I searched forever and couldn't find it. Anyway, if you're trying to wire up some lights that turn on and off with the puddle lights the wire you're looking for is black with a light blue stripe. One of the locations where you can access this wire is behind the driver's side fuse panel inside the car. You take out the 3 screws that hold the fuse panel down and pull it out (it won't come out that far because of the wiring to it). The group of wires (the smaller of the two groups that runs behind the dash) that contains the puddle light wire can be pulled out far enough to work with. Now, you'll notice that there are actually 2 black/light blue wires. One is for the interior lights (excluding the puddle lights) and the other one (the one that you want) is for the interior lights again AND the puddle lights. I figured out which one was which simply by cutting one and seeing if the puddle lights shut off (I cut the wrong one first).

In my specific case, I was needing to splice into this wire to power the halo rings on the auxiliary lights I'm adding.

I hope someone finds this useful.

In my specific case, I was needing to splice into this wire to power the halo rings on the auxiliary lights I'm adding.

Why didn't you tap into the parking lights at the headlight, or did you do both?

Why didn't you tap into the parking lights at the headlight, or did you do both?

I didn't want the halo to come on with the parking lights, just when the puddle lights were on.

I would think this information already exists somewhere else, but I searched forever and couldn't find it. Anyway, if you're trying to wire up some lights that turn on and off with the puddle lights the wire you're looking for is black with a light blue stripe. One of the locations where you can access this wire is behind the driver's side fuse panel inside the car. You take out the 3 screws that hold the fuse panel down and pull it out (it won't come out that far because of the wiring to it). The group of wires (the smaller of the two groups that runs behind the dash) that contains the puddle light wire can be pulled out far enough to work with. Now, you'll notice that there are actually 2 black/light blue wires. One is for the interior lights (excluding the puddle lights) and the other one (the one that you want) is for the interior lights again AND the puddle lights. I figured out which one was which simply by cutting one and seeing if the puddle lights shut off (I cut the wrong one first).

I hope someone finds this useful.

I just used this to add the Westin lighted running boards to my 2000 XLT. Mine's a V6 and the wiring is still the same behind the fuse box. Unfortunately, mine turn on when the dome lights turn on, not only when the puddle lights turn on like I wanted them to. I tried both wires but no luck. But I'm still happy with the results.

Back