• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen question.

the_don

Reaction score
City, State
park city, ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 exploder limited 5spd
So i looked at a '99 limited today, after i crawled under it i found an A4LD trans. it was my understanding that ford discontinued the A4LD sometime in '96-97, is this someones idea of a joke or am i mistaken?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10-4. question two, with my first gen i was able to buy a cheap ranger 5 speed and swap the explorer A4LD for the ranger M5OD. is the same thing possible or is there to much of a difference between the ranger and explorer in the '95-99 years?

10-4. question two, with my first gen i was able to buy a cheap ranger 5 speed and swap the explorer A4LD for the ranger M5OD. is the same thing possible or is there to much of a difference between the ranger and explorer in the '95-99 years?

ANYTHING is possible, depending on your capabilities and billfold. The usual hassles involving a clutch pedal, clutch linkage, different flywheel, driveshaft questions, then on to the computer. If you propose the work for your own effort, you likely would not have asked. You already knew. imp

if you look to the left and see what im driving now, you will know ive been through it before. the biggest things in my mind are: will the ranger 5 speed 4x4 ECM work in the explorer after the swap, will the ranger clutch/brake peddle assembly fit the explorer, and will the explorer crankshaft accept the new flywheel and trans input shaft?

Back