2nd Gen radio size... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen radio size...

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I have an aftermarket radio (since 2008) and it's a single din with the half din storage space up top. Does anyone know if you can get away with fitting a 2DIN radio in the dash and bezel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you mean like this?

11287128_10152850897437513_619527523_n.jpg

if yes, yes it will fit, but you will need a different mount kit, and some minor trimming to the bezel

Yes, a double din unit will go in. Adapter kits are available to fill in the minor gaps, the ones I've seen need the support rail to actually carry the weight of the head unit.

Well not exactly...I got my hands on an old school 10 band equalizer and wanted to know if it would be possible to mount it AND the radio in the same space. Basically asking because I remember the stock radio had a big face but when I pulled it out it was smaller on the backside. Was wondering if Ford did this for clearance issues or something.

I fit a full sized double din android computer/car stereo. It has a bezel and I was able to "press fit" the radio in the stock bezel with some trimming. You may have to file some plastic away.

Back