• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen rear wheel bearings

G-96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT , '00 Sport
No results found for rears.. Every other issue has 10 posts talking about the same thing. I just want to know what I need to take em out.

I picked up the seals and bearings and fluids but I don't have any special bearing tools.. are they needed or can I hammer them out ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i use a slap hammer with a bearing puller attacher, you can defiantly hammer them in, out, might be tricky.

looks like this

images

I can't see anything in that little pic. What about a typical 3 arm gear puller. Is there enough room to put those in with the claws reversed.

I can't see anything in that little pic. What about a typical 3 arm gear puller. Is there enough room to put those in with the claws reversed.

using a jaw puller will not allow you to have any place to use the forcing screw to pull it out of.

i'll post a better picture, its a slap hammer with a bearing attachment.

31U-fmvwu6L.jpg

where you use one of the black attachments to hold the bearing from inside while you slap it out.

The tool waskly is referring to is also known as a slide hammer. Once you remove the axle shaft you should be able to manually rotate the inner race of the bearing with it still in place in the bore. To ensure that it is indeed bad.

If it is you can adjust the diameter of your slide hammer attachments so that they contact only the inner race of the bearing. This will destroy the bearing, but will make it less likely for you to nick the bore while you're slamming away.

When driving the new bearing in it may help to let it sit in the freezer for a few hours first to slightly shrink it. And possibly warm up the axle shaft bore with a butane or other similar torch. If you do warm up the axle shaft it doesn't have to be much, and watch out for old gear oil as you don't want it to ignite.

Use either a genuine, or create a, bearing driver to contact only the outer race of the new bearing. Drive it in with smooth even motions along the axis of the axle shaft. Striking the inner race will destroy the bearing if the outer race is being held in place by the bore. PVC pipe pieces can sometimes be used for this, or you can find better makeshift bearing driver's.

EDIT:
Be aware that if you are using brake parts cleaner to clean the axle tubes and rear differential. That heating brake parts cleaner produces toxic fumes which are highly poisonous! DO NOT HEAT BRAKE PARTS CLEANER! Allow it to evaporate completely before working. I'm not a professional, I just saw this thread and thought I should warn you.

I know the precautions for putting it back in. I read the whole chapter in the haynes manual. I just wanted to know if there was anything special needed for the removal. I can get a slide hammer on loan, not sure about a bearing puller but maybe parts source has a loaner.

I see nothing in that kit to contact the bearing race, only to hold the tool in place. You could possibly use that tool along with a large (fender) washer from a hardware store. Also, even though you might not need it here is a write up on the rear axle removal for anyone else who might stumble across this thread: Link

actually a drill and a dent slap hammer might work, drill a hole in the bearing, screw in the slap hammer and hammer away.

How much force is really required to knock the bearings out. I might just take it apart and examine it and build a tool for it.

I got the idea now from watching this video. I think I will just make something similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBADmrMufs

build a tool for it... I think I will just make something similar

Definitely an option. They have threaded rod you can buy at a hardware store. Using several fender washers, a couple nuts, and some steel plating or angle bracket. All cut to size with an angle grinder. There are probably loaner tools available at your local auto parts stores though.

That picture I showed you was the loaner.

The good thing is I already have the new bearings so I can try to make a tool for it first.

Great thanks. I took the bearing to the store and it fits perfect with the smallest black piece. I think I have everything now and I might just tackle this weekend.

Great thanks. I took the bearing to the store and it fits perfect with the smallest black piece. I think I have everything now and I might just tackle this weekend.

good luck

use the old bearing to put the new one in btw. makes life easy :)

I'm going down now to tackle it. Any last minute tips or warnings.

The rear bearings are self lubricating right ?

I'm going down now to tackle it. Any last minute tips or warnings.

The rear bearings are self lubricating right ?

yes they are, dont hurt though to put light gear oil on them.

I got it all done except for the drain plug. The thing looks really bad and I can't fit the ratchet extension in. I'll try again tomorrow.

The tool was great, it only takes a couple of smacks. The bearings were ok but fluid was dirty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it all done except for the drain plug. The thing looks really bad and I can't fit the ratchet extension in. I'll try again tomorrow.
Put some penetrating oil on it overnight.

Did your pinon holding bolt in the axle come out in one piece? In most cases they break.

Back