2nd gen rims

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
What other ford rims can you put on 2nd besides the basic second gen rims. Can you put like stang rims or 3rd gen rims. Looking cause it's so much harder to find 15s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 15s are hard to find? huh, lots by me. iirc jeep tj(?) rims fit, iirc pattern wise, any 1-4G rim should fit (not sure about offset though)

Be careful with switching to Explorer 16" rims. Seems I recall posts on here in the past where they are problematic due to different backspacing. Maybe someone with experience can confirm?

Third Gens require an adapting plate..... A member here- Justin purchased a donor vehicle for project that had 15" Jeep ZJ wheels on it but not sure if it had adapters to work...think those are plug & play.....looked pretty good on the Explorer too imo. He removed them but message him and ask if there were spacers / adapters under them > >> Soul Eater 5.0L Swap log
Ebay listing of same ones here: LINK

the 15s are hard to find? huh, lots by me. iirc jeep tj(?) rims fit, iirc pattern wise, any 1-4G rim should fit (not sure about offset though)
What I meant is there Starting to sunset them and trying to find them is getting harder.

What I meant is there Starting to sunset them and trying to find them is getting harder.
oh i see! yeah jeeper rims work in that caee, plenty of thise around too!

@Flashflood

Just sayin' - research thoroughly and be careful when going outside of the stock 15" & 16" rims...

I bought a set of used 16" Dick Cepek wheels from a man who had them on his XJ. They bolted right on, no adapters, no issues.

As expensive as factory wheels often are, you might be better off going aftermarket and getting exactly the size you need.

As expensive as factory wheels often are, you might be better off going aftermarket and getting exactly the size you need.
iirc my factory 15 teardrops are somewhere around 120 for a set at my local JY... not too bad if you ask me, but i agree aftermarket has more option

Nice used aluminum wheels are extremely hard to come by in my neck of the woods. They all show corrosion of the aluminum underneath the flaking clearcoat from winter road chemicals. Wish I could find a nice set of those "Lacy" style wheels supplied on '96-'98 Limiteds.

Nice used aluminum wheels are extremely hard to come by in my neck of the woods. They all show corrosion of the aluminum underneath the flaking clearcoat from winter road chemicals. Wish I could find a nice set of those "Lacy" style wheels supplied on '96-'98 Limiteds.
out here in LA we got no shortage of those! or at least i see em at the yards alot! though i suppose CA to minnesota shipping would be alot for rims

I've got a set of the teardrop 16" Eddie Bauer Wheels. I can't seem to give them away.

I'm in Mesa Arizona. Its a long drive from Wyoming, and probably a chunk to ship them.

I'm in Mesa Arizona. Its a long drive from Wyoming, and probably a chunk to ship them.
Eh don't worry about it most likely going to go aftermarket dangit anyhow

out here in LA we got no shortage of those! or at least i see em at the yards alot! though i suppose CA to minnesota shipping would be alot for rim

Yeah...out of curiosity I looked into it and cost to ship would be in the neighborhood of $200 for a set of four via FedEx Home Delivery. UPS is always higher...and, USPS rates are somewhere north of ridiculous.

dang!!! yeah, thats quite pricey, 120 for the rims and 200 for the shipping=320-350, rim prices fluctuate here, still less than aftermarktet, but still pricey! wish we could distribute the nice CA rims to the rest of yalls in the rust belt ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang!!! yeah, thats quite pricey, 120 for the rims and 200 for the shipping=320-350, rim prices fluctuate here, still less than aftermarktet, but still pricey! wish we could distribute the nice CA rims to the rest of yalls in the rust belt ;)
Mine aren't bad just clear coat looks awful. Idiot that owned the truck before us decide to take the 16s off and put on 15s and there peeling so bad it's not funny.

Back