• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen suspension lift

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I'd hate to be the guy asking a question that is already answered, so if anyone could post a link to the forum that answers my question it would be much appreciated.

I have a 2001 sport 2WD and I am looking for about a 3'' lift, 4" max. I DO want a suspension lift, not a BL or TT, because I would like some extra wheel travel. I have seen several Explorers on here with the height I am going for but cannot find a kit that is suitable. I took a trip to 4 Wheel Parts over in Riverside,CA and the guys told me there that nothing can be done for a suspension lift without going to a fabricator which would be 10-15K. I'm in college and definitely can't afford that. (I'm trying to stick to $1000 not including installation) They couldn't even suggest on how to buy parts separately to do the lift myself. For example: buying larger leaf springs from one manufacturer and buying shocks from another. I need my brothers on this forum to help me out because some "impossible" mods have been made to the Explorers on here and I trust this forum. Any information would help and is much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A TT is a suspension lift. On a 2wd, you can do a fairly large TT and rear shackles since you don't have to worry about CV Axles binding in the front.

Added travel?

A TT is a suspension lift. On a 2wd, you can do a fairly large TT and rear shackles since you don't have to worry about CV Axles binding in the front.

I thought that doing a torsion twist would not increase wheel travel which is what I want. I would like the extra travel for a better ride offroad. I take it in desert areas, I don't do too much mudding or anything. I think that having extra travel would provide a better ride at higher speeds (40+)

For sand you'll want to change the front end to coil springs not torsion bars.
Also, 2WD may not be the best idea for sand.
If you search, there's a thread here of a pretty awesome second gen that was built for sand, the fenders were modified and everything. That may give you an idea for your truck.

If you take the sway bar off or disconnect it while off roading and do a coilover conversion (many links on here for it) you may not gain more inches but the ride quality off road will greatly improve.

I also very rarely use 4WD in the dunes, 2WD will do fine. Just a lot of skinny pedal.

If you take the sway bar off or disconnect it while off roading and do a coilover conversion (many links on here for it) you may not gain more inches but the ride quality off road will greatly improve.

I also very rarely use 4WD in the dunes, 2WD will do fine. Just a lot of skinny pedal.

would it be safe to remove the sway bar if I also do a lift? What is a skinny pedal?

Also, does anyone have any info on this kit from pro comp?

http://www.a1liftkits.com/index.php?p=product&id=494
Product ID: K4023-2

You would still have the rear sway bar. It will away more but not much. I have no sway bars. I assumed you would run 31s with your budget. That means it wont be as high. That would also keep you from wanting to regear. Coilovers, shackles and 31s would be a whole new truck IMO. Take the front sway bar off and the front end will "dance" because they will work independent which is what you want at speed. Skinny pedal is the gas pedal. I wouldn't suggest something in safe.

You would still have the rear sway bar. It will away more but not much. I have no sway bars. I assumed you would run 31s with your budget. That means it wont be as high. That would also keep you from wanting to regear. Coilovers, shackles and 31s would be a whole new truck IMO. Take the front sway bar off and the front end will "dance" because they will work independent which is what you want at speed. Skinny pedal is the gas pedal. I wouldn't suggest something in safe.

Actually wheels and tires aren't part of my budget. The $1000 is for the lift only. If I were to switch to coil overs, could that give me any lift? Does anyone have an opinion on spindle lifts?

I wasn't including wheels and tires in your budget but the price to get a 2-3" lift to clear 31s is probably 1/2 the cost of getting 33s under it not to mentions running 33s with stock gearing isn't pretty. If you lift the front 2" you can add-a-leaf rear or shackles, if you go 4-5" you will have to do both which also adds money. Spindle lifts are common and I don't see a problem with them, but they do nothing more than gain ride height. That means no more travel or any different ride quality. You can gain as much lift from a coil conversion as TT would give you. Look at some of the coil conversion threads. They are pretty straight forward now. If you like how it works you could always do a body lift or spindle lift later to achieve 33s. Your original post implied you were going for a good fast setup. I would keep it low and retain as much power as I can. My truck sits lower than stock with 33s

But this weldtec kit might be what you are looking for. http://weldtec.org/products.php?MAKE=FORD&P=2

I wasn't including wheels and tires in your budget but the price to get a 2-3" lift to clear 31s is probably 1/2 the cost of getting 33s under it not to mentions running 33s with stock gearing isn't pretty. If you lift the front 2" you can add-a-leaf rear or shackles, if you go 4-5" you will have to do both which also adds money. Spindle lifts are common and I don't see a problem with them, but they do nothing more than gain ride height. That means no more travel or any different ride quality. You can gain as much lift from a coil conversion as TT would give you. Look at some of the coil conversion threads. They are pretty straight forward now. If you like how it works you could always do a body lift or spindle lift later to achieve 33s. Your original post implied you were going for a good fast setup. I would keep it low and retain as much power as I can. My truck sits lower than stock with 33s

But this weldtec kit might be what you are looking for. http://weldtec.org/products.php?MAKE=FORD&P=2

Yes I am try to get tires 31-32 inches in diameter. This kit seems pretty good, it just seems to be missing the rear part of the lift. But I noticed it is for a ranger, would a lift kit intended for a ranger fit on my ex? Also, there seems to be no way to order the kit online or contact them. I could head down to San Diego but a 2+ hour drive is a little much haha

Back