2nd Gen Transfercase Compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Transfercase Compatibility

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I've seen quite a few threads on this matter when needing a new transfer case so figured I would make a thread for anyone needing to swap in one. This is for the 4X4 models 4.0 SOHC/4.0 OHV Borg Warner4405

1995-1996 Use the same transfer case they have the speed sensor in the transfer case and use the same drive shaft.

1997 Contains the speed sensor in the transfer case like the 95-96 but use a different drive shaft so if you were to want to use a 95-96 Transfer case you would also need to get the drive shaft from that vehicle.

1998-2001 Does not contain a speed sensor in the transfer case as it is in the rear axle so therefore you need to use the 1998-2001 Transfer Case if you need your speedometer to work.

The BW 4405 bolts to the transmission the same no matter the year so pay close attention when buying a replacement transfer case for your truck. Note the part number on the metal tag on your transfer case before buying another one as you see they are not all the same.

If your 4wd is not working refer to this Thread gijoecam created, its a great thread on troubleshooting the 4X4 in your 2nd generation explorer so be sure to check it out before going through the work of swapping in a new transfer case.

If anyone has a suggestion on adding something to the thread that I may have missed or you feel should be noted, pm me and I will add it to the thread.

Back