2nd gen ?

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Im a 1st gen guy, ive had 3. But now im looking for a 2nd gen to hold DD status for a while since mine is getting the d44 sometime soon. So is there anything i should watch out for? imn clueless on 2nd gens. I was going to trya nd find a manual 6cyl, but it will prolly be an auto. Also i wanted a sport, not a 4dr.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 Sport has been really reliable with 115K on the clock now. Finding a manual trans will probably be tough - probably easier if you go 2wd. On 2nd gen, it seems like the issues are SOHC timing chain and intake manifold leaks (I have OHV) and of course, transmission problems. I also think practically every 2nd Gen will have a bad IAC eventually. ;)

My 97 Sport has been really reliable with 115K on the clock now. Finding a manual trans will probably be tough - probably easier if you go 2wd. On 2nd gen, it seems like the issues are SOHC timing chain and intake manifold leaks (I have OHV) and of course, transmission problems. I also think practically every 2nd Gen will have a bad IAC eventually. ;)

I agree with everything Dogfriend said. I have 130000+ miles on my 2000XLT and it still has not had any major problems.

the IAC is flakey, the rear wiper doesn't work, and the tranny doesn't sync 2nd gear on ocassion. Other than those it's GREAT!

David

go for a 95-01 V8 AWD or 2WD. (best engine-transmission for 2nd generation)

if you get the AWD and you want a true 4x4 you just have to put a transfer case on it. is a resent write up how to do it.

if you want a 4.0 v6 which i don`t really suggest it because gas mileage is about same as v8 make sure that your tranny has been already rebuild and the engine (SOHC) has a new tensioner and front-rear timming chain.

good luck

a lot of the sohc x's seem to have come with 3.73 or better gears. if you plan on playing around with it eventually getting a sohc model with the steep gears would save you the hassle of putting 2 sets in later. they seem to have a bad rep but as suspicous as i am of mine it hasnt shown me any bad signs yet. the 55r5e isn't a great transmission, i've not only read that, but mine just plain drives weird. when slowing to a stop its shifts into 1st with a noticable whump, shifts are firmer, and i've been able to get OD under 30mph. no lights yet, and since im the youngest "old man" on the road it probly wont give me any problems. My head just hurts from constantly comparing the speedometer with the tach and watching the road. my mileage has remained unchanged from the day i got it so im not not assuming anything is really wrong yet.

Back