2nd genTransmission in 1st gen explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd genTransmission in 1st gen explorer?

prozachappy

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer...sportster
The M5OD-R1 transmissions were used in (4.0 ohv) explorers from 1991-2000.
Does anyone know if the bellhousings were diffierent, or should it just drop in?

I found a good deal on a transmission made for the 95-98 4.0 ohv's, but don't want to throw money away if it is not going to line up on my 1994.

Thanks,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason,

It might mate up, but I don't think your 94 is going to have the right electronics to make it work.

I've got a 91 right now -replacing the trans on it - and that's how I fell into the trans we're using.
Someone bought it to go into a 95+, but they found out it wouldn't work for it.
I'm assuming the reverse is true for putting a newer trans in an older Ex.

Good luck!

It's just a drop in. And there's not really any electronics to worry about since it's a manual transmission. I think there's one wire or something.

My bad. :)
I didn't notice that was the manual trans.

That's what's so great about this place - so many people working together to help one another.

Thanks for noticing so fast and setting us straight, briwayjones.

My bad. :)
I didn't notice that was the manual trans.

That's what's so great about this place - so many people working together to help one another.

Thanks for noticing so fast and setting us straight, briwayjones.

No problem. I've been known to read too fast.

Thanks.

I just needed some confirmation before spending the money. I'm going to meet with the guy this evening. He claims the M5OD is straight from Ford Motors and has never seen an engine. You can't beat that for $500.

I'll keep you posted on the install.

Thanks.
He claims the M5OD is straight from Ford Motors and has never seen an engine. You can't beat that for $500.

Dang, if that's true you sure can't beat that.

Back