2nd Row bucket seats and other questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row bucket seats and other questions

wheeling

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I ask some stupid questions.

I have been reading this forum for some time and really like the 2011 EX. Considering all the problems being discussed, I think it is wise to buy a 2012 model rather than 2011. I have some questions that could not find the answers, hope some members can help me out.

1. 2nd row captain seats. I have a small family so 2nd row captain seats would be a nice option. Do they slide back and force? Can they be folded flat as the bench? Can they recline? Can some one has the option kindly show some photos please! I also need advise on the center console. What would you do, having it or not? pros and cons?
2. Sony Audio. Is it 5.1 with discrete channels or simple stereo with merely more speakers? Can't find inofrmation for this anywhere.
3. Can the A/C front seat be programed with the key fob so that a remote start will turn the A/C seats on? Living in TX, the A/C seat is a must.

Thank you very much :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome brother. I live in Texas too.
I have the options you refer to and very happy with it. There are picture all over the net if you google it.
1. They do go back and forth and recline somewhat (not all the way flat). I like'em. I do like the center console as well as I use it for storage.
Also, you can use a plastic bag in there with some freezer packs to keep your drinks cold :)

2. the Sony System: 5.1 is actually misleading here. It does have a subwoofer and much more than 5 speakers. You'll like it.

3. No you can't program the Key fob to work with the seats.

Hope this helps...

Welcome brother. I live in Texas too.
I have the options you refer to and very happy with it. There are picture all over the net if you google it.
1. They do go back and forth and recline somewhat (not all the way flat). I like'em. I do like the center console as well as I use it for storage.
Also, you can use a plastic bag in there with some freezer packs to keep your drinks cold :)

2. the Sony System: 5.1 is actually misleading here. It does have a subwoofer and much more than 5 speakers. You'll like it.

3. No you can't program the Key fob to work with the seats.

Hope this helps...

Thanks TXploer2011, that helps a lot. When you say it not all the way flat, do you mean when you try to fold it down for cargo, how far a way it is from complete flat?

I meant the back does not recline al the way flat in a seating position.
However for cargo it does fold flat.

According to the manual, the car can be programed so that the AC seats come on with the remote start if it is hot outside. I don't have the exact page in front of me, but it either the climate section or the remote start section I believe that talks about this. Heated seats automatically can come on in cold weather, too.

According to the manual, the car can be programed so that the AC seats come on with the remote start if it is hot outside. I don't have the exact page in front of me, but it either the climate section or the remote start section I believe that talks about this. Heated seats automatically can come on in cold weather, too.

I think you are right goofy - the cooled seats come on with the remote start. There is a manual online somewhere - I'm sure you could search the forum or google it wheeling. (I don't have it in front of me).

Anyways, I have the bucket seats and that is one of the main reasons that I got the explorer. They work really well and they make the 3rd row useable. We do not have the console and there is a nice little aisle to get back to the third row. Our family has two carseats in the back seats, so any guests have to climb in back for now. No question that it is still kindof a pain to get back there, but better than squeezing behind a folded seat. My wife likens it similarly to climbing in a third row of a minivan. It actually creates more room for the third row as well because they can stretch their legs out into the aisle (unless you get the center console). While the third row and the aisle aren't quite as good as the GMC Acadia, it's pretty close and definitely comparable.

As for the bucket seats, they do slide forward and back. I actually think that they go back a hair further (based on personal observation) than the bench seats (which DO NOT move) and they can go forward more giving your third row more room. They also have a "powerfold" feature which I haven't used (because of the car seats) that folds the seat out of the way to get into the back.

The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of armrests on the inside.

I can probably post some pictures tonight.

I've been wondering about the cooled seats and remote start as well. Corey can you check into this for us?

Pages%252520from%25252011expog4e.png

Here you go, you just need to have the seats set to Auto on the center stack.

Pages%252520from%25252011expog4e72.png

Here is the page before so that the last page makes more sense.

Thanks for posting that OneFast440! For those who don’t already have a digital copy of the Owner’s Manual, you can download the full version for free: Go to Owner.Ford.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and selecting the vehicle from the drop down menus.

Cory

Cory,

I sent you a PM. did you get it?

Thanks,
TXplorer2011

..... They also have a "powerfold" feature which I haven't used (because of the car seats) that folds the seat out of the way to get into the back.

I can probably post some pictures tonight.

That's great news to know. Nowhere else mentioned about power folding second row bucket seats. Do they also power fold flat for cargo? Can someone with the seat to confirm how it works? With the power folding, the center console seems a good choice.

Thanks

We got the bucket seats without a console for easier access to the 3rd row. There's a button just inside the door that folds the seat and then flips the bottom up for 3rd row access. It's neater than heck. Had I known about this feature, we would have ordered ours with the console for sure. The seat on each side does this.

We got the bucket seats without a console for easier access to the 3rd row. There's a button just inside the door that folds the seat and then flips the bottom up for 3rd row access. It's neater than heck. Had I known about this feature, we would have ordered ours with the console for sure. The seat on each side does this.

The power fold second row buckets are great for easy access to the 3d row, though be careful with young boys. After accidentally braining one of their friends getting in and out of the Ex over the weekend, it became a game to the gang of 3 to see how bad they could hit or knock each other over until we had to play really bad cop to stop it (don't want to damage the Ex, or the kids of course). The console is really useful as well for storage and somewhere to rest your arm (foldable armrests would have been a good idea). However, given how little space is in the 3d row (not less than comparable cars, but that is not saying much), I can see why having that open space in the middle for your legs would have made the 3d row a whole lot more comfortable. Oh well, too late for that now but something to consider for those who want to haul more than young kids in the 3d row.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of defeat switch for the power-fold second row seats? I can see our little one climbing into the car and seeing a button ready for the pressing. I am wondering what it would do to the seat if it tried to fold with a car seat in it?

I imagine a defeat switch like for the door handles, something that can be engaged/disengaged independently for each side of the car (that way your passengers could still make it to the 3rd row), would be perfect.

The whole seat is unable to move if the upper section of the seat cannot tip all the way forward. When the button is pressed the upper section of the seat is released and a spring pulls the upper section forward. The spring is not that strong and will not move a person or a car seat. Once the upper section has moved all the way down then the lower section releases and moves forward. I don't think you have anything to worry about except the upper section being released. Hope that makes sense.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of defeat switch for the power-fold second row seats? I can see our little one climbing into the car and seeing a button ready for the pressing. I am wondering what it would do to the seat if it tried to fold with a car seat in it?

I imagine a defeat switch like for the door handles, something that can be engaged/disengaged independently for each side of the car (that way your passengers could still make it to the 3rd row), would be perfect.

I cannot speak to the power fold captains chairs, I know for the power fold third row seats that if there is any obstacle (even a towel placed on the seat) the seat won't fold. It tries mind you, but it gets to a point where it senses the obstacle and stops.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. I don't foresee any problems there.

Back