• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Captain Chairs & Console?

BigHarv19

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I am looking to replace my 2nd row (40/20/40 config) with some captain's chairs and a console on my '02 Explorer XLT. I have seen some of the older threads with pics which look great, but all the links are broken now as most of them are a couple years old.

Does anyone know where I could find a compatible 2nd row console? Would the Taurus X work?

Also, for the captain's chairs I was thinking about getting two front row seats with manual seat position and recline. Is this the way many of you have gone with the 2nd row?

I just recently started planning out modifications, so I am a rook...go easy on me, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on my 3rd row conversion I just completed, I'd suggest looking for a 2nd row out of a 3 row Explorer. The fronts won't fold flat if you need them to. The 2nd row for 3 row ones are actually 3 pieces, so you could just install the 2 outers and leave the center out and install a center console.

To me that seems like the easiest way, the mounting points will all line up etc...

Mine is a 3rd row Explorer. I am looking to remove the 3rd row and create additional cargo depth. You're point about the fronts not laying flat is well made. I hadn't thought of that.

I know in newer model SUV/Minivans the 2nd row captains slide back and recline. I was looking for something like this to create more leg room for my backseat passengers, are theyr any seating options for the 2nd row that can still lay down flat for cargo, but slide back? I know my current setup does not. I can simply remove the center seat and look for a console to fit the space, but hoping to find a solution that gives more leg space.

There are no sliding second-row seats for the third generation explorers.

Like JoJo said, the most practical method is to grab the two outside seats from an explorer with 3rd row seating, and then scour the web for a center console.

-Dubya

Im pretty sure the centre seat in the second row has a seat belt clip attached to it for one of the window seats

Im pretty sure the centre seat in the second row has a seat belt clip attached to it for one of the window seats

I'll have to look when I go out to my truck, don't remember well enough to comment.

You're absolutely correct. IIRC, the center console has a belt clip for that very reason. The answer definitely lurks in a thread somewhere, I read once.

If I happen to be mistaken, then one of the window seats from the console-equipped explorer would have its own belt clip, but I feel like its less likely Ford would have produced a wholly separate seat design just for the limited-made console explorers.

-Dubya

I've built my own center console. With the explorers who came equipped with a console in the second row, the seats are exactly the same all other 40/20/40 configure seats with a miniature console in between them. The belt are indeed attached the the middle seat. With mine I modified a pair of other lathes in order to bolt them to the floor. With the factory console the seat belts were attached to a small L-shaped bracket.
explorer_2006_rear_seat_large.jpg

I cant find a picture of the seat belt attachment. I can post more pictures of my console later. Showing how I went about making the seat belts
(The one above is the factory console, and yes it is in a forth gen but those consoles are identical.)

What about the front seats out of a sport??? they fold tilt and you should be able to mod the center console to work with them???
Heck you might even get ones that match...

That would be awesome, I'll have to take a look. However, I think the previous posters are correct. In looking at the configuration again, there is a part of the interior that protrudes from the side of the ex that would block it from adjusting back...

I've built my own center console. With the explorers who came equipped with a console in the second row, the seats are exactly the same all other 40/20/40 configure seats with a miniature console in between them. The belt are indeed attached the the middle seat. With mine I modified a pair of other lathes in order to bolt them to the floor. With the factory console the seat belts were attached to a small L-shaped bracket.
explorer_2006_rear_seat_large.jpg

I cant find a picture of the seat belt attachment. I can post more pictures of my console later. Showing how I went about making the seat belts
(The one above is the factory console, and yes it is in a forth gen but those consoles are identical.)

How do you build a center console for the 2nd row? I know it's a total noob question, but i don't where to start with that, and I can't seem to find any aftermarket consoles that look right or fit the space.

What I started with was a front row center console. I placed it inside the second row to see how it would look. After deciding I'd try and make it work, I tried my hands at fiber glass. I took the second row seats out and taped up the carpet so resin wouldn't ruin the fibers. Then laid layer upon layer of fiber glass on the taped off area. This created a perfect mold of floor. I then took this fiber glass piece out and cleaned up the edges. placed it back in the car and placed the console on top of it. tried to eye what pieces of the bottom would need to be cut. Proceeded to cut the console and once I like how it sat I glassed the console to the fiberglass "sheet". I proceeded to drill out the holes for seat belts. TO bolt the seat belts I used a pair of female ends off of a junkyard x. cut part of the base off, drilled a hole through them. The hole in the fiberglass lined up with the location of where the bolts that held the middle seat were. Then used those same bolts to secure the seat belts.

I have a feeling this doesn't make sense, just let me know where it gets confusing. I'm still trying to get more pictures I just cant find my camera.

Go to a wrecking yard and look for some Mountaineers. In my recent trips, the Mountaineers are a lot less picked thru vs the Explorers. I've seen more Mountaineers with the seat config you are looking for than I have Explorers. Also, look for Lincoln Aviators.

With the center console though, and the two second row seats folded flat, does the console not get in the way of loading anything "big" in the Explorer?

With mine the second row console is slightly in the way. With the manufacturers I believe the entire top is in the way Again 2006 but the interior are very identical
ford_explorer_2006_cargo_large.jpg

How do you build a center console for the 2nd row? I know it's a total noob question, but i don't where to start with that, and I can't seem to find any aftermarket consoles that look right or fit the space.

Sorry didn't see your post. I didn't do a write up but I'll try and throw an all inclusive post together for you. Gimme a couple weeks though. Finals start next week and I have a test and presentation this week.

Sorry didn't see your post. I didn't do a write up but I'll try and throw an all inclusive post together for you. Gimme a couple weeks though. Finals start next week and I have a test and presentation this week.

No worries, I'm still putting in the new engine so the 2nd row won't be for a few weeks or so. In that picture, are those two 2nd row chairs the 40 seats in what was a 40/20/40 setup?

In this picture and in the 3rd gen yes those would be the 40's minus the 20. Basically the 20 is removed and a console is placed in its location. The console is smaller than the original 20, this is why there is a space between the seats and the console.

I want your black leather seats.....

I'm just using that as a representation of what the stock second row center console looks like. That is not my interior.
Mine looks like this:
Except with the seats back in place.

2013-07-30162539_zps8ac699fc.jpg

My wife's '04 Eddie Bauer is equipped with 2nd row captains chairs and a console from the factory. The captains chairs are not the same as my '02 with 40/20/40 setup. The factory captains chairs have a recline function were as mine only fold and flip forward for 3rd row access. and the console opens forward to have a secondary cup holder section. it also becomes the same height as the seat backs so the cargo tray on the back of the 3rd row seat will slide up and over it. Hope some of this helps. I like the pic of the console made out of the front section. that looks like a great idea. I have been thinking about a 2nd row console for mine as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ And so the mystery is solved! ^^^

Back