2nd row interior lighting w/out sunroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd row interior lighting w/out sunroof

filzam

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an XLT w/out sunroof so the 2nd row lights are in the middle. I've been working on the interior lighting mods to replace the map lights and 3rd row cargo with guidance from the posts in this forum , but have struggled getting the 2nd row lights replaced with brighter LEDs (wedge 194/168 LEDs like the map lights).

The 2nd row housing has 2 LEDs -- so far all I've been able to do is get one to light up whenever the door is opened while the other just flickers dimly and then goes out. If the doors are closed I can toggle them on and off, but only one at a time as each turns the other off. Has anyone been successful in getting the LEDs replaced on this model and what did you do to get it to work? Is it affected by the other lighting (map and cargo); maybe I didn't install those correctly with the right resistors (or in parallel vs series)?

I've been at this for about 2 weeks and see no other solution than maybe to change the second row to look like the cargo (one LED), so hopefully someone out there already has this working and can share their setup.

Back