2nd row refrigerated console

arred79

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
So I was able to obtain a 2nd row refrigerated console from a Ford Flex, and I plan to install it in my '13 Sport, it bolts up identically to our non-refrigerated console, I just need to wire it up. I am pretty handy and comfortable doing things like this, have done wiring projects in the past but wanted to reach out on here to anyone who has done this already or just has good electrical experience. Now the plug that comes out of the console looks like a basic 2 wire power and ground set up, and I want to connect it to an ignition on/run only source. Anyone know where would be a good source to tap for power for this? My Sport does not have a heated steering wheel but I was thinking of using a fuse tap and use the spot in the fuse box for the heated wheel to source power, which I believe uses a 10 amp fuse, and route the wire to the back --- thoughts on that or any other ideas? Just want to make for a clean install and safe wiring.

Thanks,

-Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Arred.. this is a GREAT IDEA... why not tap into one of the power outlets ?

Hi Dale. Before connecting to a power outlet, make sure it isn't always 'live'. There is a thread on the outlets and debates on whether they turn OFF or not with the ignition. It appears that on the earlier models they were always ON. Power Outlets - Are they Switched?

Peter

Howdy. I would test it first to make sure it is a simple power on one side ground on the other. If it is like the powered coolers then if you run power one way it heats and then run it the other way it cools. Take a 12V plug and connect it one way then the other to check. Next what is the current draw of the cooler? I would use a relay to power it myself, then it will not matter the size of the fuse you tap. Running a relay is pretty simple in this case. Power from the battery goes to one of the pins, from another pin (normally across from battery pin) power to the cooler. You will then need to find a switched 12V fuse to tap. Take that power to the correct pin. The last pin should run to ground. Check out this site a little over half way down it shows how to wire it. They are going to a light you would be going to the cooler.

Automotive Relay Guide | 12 Volt Planet

Howdy. I would test it first to make sure it is a simple power on one side ground on the other. If it is like the powered coolers then if you run power one way it heats and then run it the other way it cools. Take a 12V plug and connect it one way then the other to check. Next what is the current draw of the cooler? I would use a relay to power it myself, then it will not matter the size of the fuse you tap. Running a relay is pretty simple in this case. Power from the battery goes to one of the pins, from another pin (normally across from battery pin) power to the cooler. You will then need to find a switched 12V fuse to tap. Take that power to the correct pin. The last pin should run to ground. Check out this site a little over half way down it shows how to wire it. They are going to a light you would be going to the cooler.

Automotive Relay Guide | 12 Volt Planet
A relay might be the best setup, is there an easy way to route the wires through the firewall?

That I do not know. I have not done any work on mine. I open the hood check the oil and then down the road I go. For oil changes my dealer does them for free up until 100,000 miles. I would bet there is a rubber gourmet someplace you can use to get into the cab. I looked at the cooler and it is also a freezer. What a great idea I might have to keep my eyes open for one now.

I checked the Flex wiring and it runs on its own 10 amp circuit from the BCM on a powered run/start circuit. I checked the 13 Explorer BCM wiring for the same run/start circuit and there is an open fuse slot 42 in the bcm in the run/start circuit. It's for a police option and fused at 5 amps in those vehicles but I don't see why you couldn't fuse at 10 amps and run a wire to C2280 #5 at the BCM.

EDIT***I see you said you did not have a HSW...yes you could use that circuit as well. It doesn't power anything else. Fuse 36 C2280 #9.

So I was able to obtain a 2nd row refrigerated console from a Ford Flex, and I plan to install it in my '13 Sport, it bolts up identically to our non-refrigerated console, I just need to wire it up. I am pretty handy and comfortable doing things like this, have done wiring projects in the past but wanted to reach out on here to anyone who has done this already or just has good electrical experience. Now the plug that comes out of the console looks like a basic 2 wire power and ground set up, and I want to connect it to an ignition on/run only source. Anyone know where would be a good source to tap for power for this? My Sport does not have a heated steering wheel but I was thinking of using a fuse tap and use the spot in the fuse box for the heated wheel to source power, which I believe uses a 10 amp fuse, and route the wire to the back --- thoughts on that or any other ideas? Just want to make for a clean install and safe wiring.

Thanks,

-Dale
Hi, Arred. Where you able to wire console? I just waiting for mine to install in 2017 Platinum. Can you share the way you did it?

Hi, Arred. Where you able to wire console? I just waiting for mine to install in 2017 Platinum. Can you share the way you did it?
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since March 2, 2020.

Peter

Thank you, Peter. Will try to find smth from other members.

Thank you, Peter. Will try to find smth from other members.
Good luck. I did a quick Search and found a couple of posts about adding the refrigerated console but there were no instructions about wiring and the members don't seem to be active anymore.

Peter

Thank you for your help.

Hi everyone. I tried to find the wiring or smth like it on the adding refrigerated console to Ford Explorer but can't find any. So, maybe, it will be useful for others.
I found the refrigerated console form Ford Flex 2014in USA and arranged to get it here in Ukraine. In the local service electrician wired this console from interior fuse box by separate wire and 15A fuse (fridge needs 10A) and now refrigerator is on as the car is on and turns of as the you turn off the car. Also electrician added the button which allow to leave fridge on even as car ifs off. Here are the pictures:

IMG_20210605_151758.jpg

IMG_20210605_151827.jpg

IMG_20210605_154403.jpg

IMG_20210605_154427.jpg

IMG_20210605_160942.jpg

IMG_20210605_161023.jpg

IMG_20210605_161031.jpg

IMG_20210605_161042.jpg

IMG_20210605_161053.jpg

IMG_20210605_161114.jpg

IMG_20210605_163046.jpg

I'd be curious to know if the Battery Saver feature would turn it OFF after 10 minutes if it was left ON.

Peter

I'd be curious to know if the Battery Saver feature would turn it OFF after 10 minutes if it was left ON.

Peter
Will try and let you know here.

Hi everyone. I tried to find the wiring or smth like it on the adding refrigerated console to Ford Explorer but can't find any. So, maybe, it will be useful for others.
I found the refrigerated console form Ford Flex 2014in USA and arranged to get it here in Ukraine. In the local service electrician wired this console from interior fuse box by separate wire and 15A fuse (fridge needs 10A) and now refrigerator is on as the car is on and turns of as the you turn off the car. Also electrician added the button which allow to leave fridge on even as car ifs off. Here are the pictures:

View attachment 331698

View attachment 331699

View attachment 331700

View attachment 331701

View attachment 331702

View attachment 331703

View attachment 331704

View attachment 331705

View attachment 331706

View attachment 331708

View attachment 331709
Can you share any more information on the wiring? I have the cooler center console installed, but I'm confused how your electrician did the wiring. Can you take a photo of the switch he installed and if he used a relay or has two different power sources to give you that option? Also if
you can show what fuse he used.

Can you share any more information on the wiring? I have the cooler center console installed, but I'm confused how your electrician did the wiring. Can you take a photo of the switch he installed and if he used a relay or has two different power sources to give you that option? Also if
you can show what fuse he used.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back