2nd to 3rd "jerk" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd to 3rd "jerk"

Reaction score
City, State
Pasco WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
so i just bought my 3rd explorer and i absolutely love my new truck its a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L 4x4 Limited... heres the deal though, every shift is amazingly smooth but the one from 2nd to 3rd, even at that with more then 1/3 throttle it smooth (i drive with a very light pedal) but with very little throttle going about 25mph and it shifts into 3rd it feels like a normal shift with a little "bump" or "jerk" and its more noticeable in the cold before it warms up. now is this an issue or normal?? i know 3rd is lockup for the converter so could it just be a rough lockup since its at low rpm?? I'm planning and getting the fluid changed on the 1st of the month since i don't know when it was done or if it has ever been done... BTW it has 74K miles
id really appreciate any help:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get the same sort of feeling when mine shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I do believe that this shift is when the transmission switches over from the low/reverse band to the intermediate band, so there is a lot of movement in the trans during that shift which can be attributed to the jerky bump sorta feeling.

Ditto here. Not a big fan of the Gen IV transmissions. My Gen II shifted beautifully, but my III and IV.........not so much.

I had a similar issue with my 2008 Mountaineer. Not saying your problem is the same as mine, but mine appeared to be a transmission learning issue. I ran it through several full throttle runs of the gears and it eventually smoothed out at the slower speeds. Don't know why. It just worked.

Chris

mine does that all the time. had a really good tranny shop check it out after i got it a year ago and they said it was normal. First reply probably was the best explanation. If i accelerate VERY lightly it doesnt do it. i tend to accelerator more moderately; happens just about every time... except when im pulling my boat.......

See mines opposite... Only does it under light throttle but not under normal or hard throttle

Do you have the trailer package?

no 1 1/4" hitch....

I have a 2000X 4.0ohv. Same symptoms. Added Lucus trans fluid treatment. Shifts smooth as a baby's bottom. Been more than a year with no return of symptoms.

Mine kind of jerks if I throttle weird. I just figured it was the 3.73 axle.

I am a trans mechanic at a Ford dealer. The trans you have in your explorer is the 5r55s. the S stands for sycronized shift. On a 2-3 shift the overdrive band comes off and the intermediate band comes on. If the timing of the 2 bands applying and releasing is not timed perfect you will feel a bump or jerk. If it is only doing it when cold i would not be concerned. If the bump/jerk becomes more noticeable when hot it could be caused by the pistons that apply these bands hanging up in the case. This is a common problem with this trans (ford has a tsb out for it). the fix is to install brass sleaves in the case were the piston pistons slide in and out. But it sounds like your only acts up when cold so i wouldnt worry

Kool, thanks for the information.

Actually kinda does it warm aswell... Its not all the time neither... Could a fluid flush and filter help??

At 74k miles a fluid flush wouldn't hurt. If the hard shift does not bother you i wouldn't worry about it. Even brand new the 2-3 shift is not perfectly smooth and it's not going to leave you stranded anywhere. Only after it gets really bad does it bind and break the band. I have only seen that happen when the trans has closer to 200k miles. For the $1500-$2000 it would cost to repair the case i would leave it unless it really annoys you to have that hard shift.

Lol your awesome man!!!! Ima leave it alone its not to bad just anoying... And aslong as i know it aint destroying itself im okay with the jolt... Now if only ford could ever make a good set of brakes lol

Being 2nd jerk or 3rd jerk isn't so bad.
Just don't be the 1st jerk!
:bsnicker:

Mine does the 2-3 bump as well. It gets really annoying in stop-and-go traffic. The weird thing, though, is that if I put the gear selector in '3', it doesn't do it anymore. Plus the throttle response from a stop is totally different. What's the deal with that?

That's cause when you put the truck into "3" with the selector you are forcin the tranny into 3rd gear and it will not downshift nor upshift. So when you try to accelerate from a complete stop while in "3" you are actually starting in 3rd gear not first.

That's cause when you put the truck into "3" with the selector you are forcin the tranny into 3rd gear and it will not downshift nor upshift. So when you try to accelerate from a complete stop while in "3" you are actually starting in 3rd gear not first.

Yeah, you're right. I assumed it was the same as my Honda, but it's not. Actually, I like it better this way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, the 2nd to 3rd bump when accelerating doesn't really bother me. The one that bothers me is when I slow down almost to a stop and then accelerate again. (Imagine slowing for a red light, and then when you're down to about 5mph, the light turns green, and you get back on the gas). That's when it really bumps and drives me crazy, and that's why I sometimes put it in 3rd when I drive in traffic. Anyone else have those symptoms?

Back