• Register Today It's free!

2wd/4wd Trans swap

jtmoney77

Reaction score
City, State
medina,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 99xls
I have a 99 explorer xls 4.0 ohv 2wd with the transmission code D, I also have a 97 explorer 4wd with trans code D. The 4wd explorer has a bad transmission the 2wd has a good transmission are the 2 transmissions interchangeable if i swap tailshafts? How involved is this process if possible? the bad trans lost reverse all forward gears work fine maybe broken band? anyhelp would be great

I have a 99 explorer xls 4.0 ohv 2wd with the transmission code D, I also have a 97 explorer 4wd with trans code D. The 4wd explorer has a bad transmission the 2wd has a good transmission are the 2 transmissions interchangeable if i swap tailshafts? Yes, BUT.... How involved is this process if possible? The "tailshaft", assuming the transmissions are identical type- the "D" may not define that, since years are different...is actually the transmission OUTPUT SHAFT; most of them require pretty much complete disassembly of the trans. from it's front end to remove the output shaft as the output shaft is secured in place by a snap ring mounted internally. the bad trans lost reverse all forward gears work fine maybe broken band? anyhelp would be great..The work involved here suggests that rebuilding/repairing the "bad" trans would be a better way to go. Anyhow, how SURE can you be that the 2wd trans. is "good"?? imp

/////////////////

i drove the 2wd before it blew a head gasket. ive been reading in other threads about the rev band(sprag) breaking sound like i woud have just as much work in swaping shafts as i would replacing the band? ive done some internal work on bigger transmissions on forklifts just wondering how involved the repair would be?should i even atempt it?lots of "special"tools needed thanks again

Back