• Register Today It's free!

2wd a4ld to a 4wd asap

sajnaj

Reaction score
City, State
rockville in
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
i have a 91 ford explorer it is 4wd the trany is toast. i got a free 2wd a4ld out of a 94 aerostar. i searched but no one came up with any details. i know that i have to swap the tail housing out but thats about it. im hoping that i dont have to tear apart my free 2wd a4ld its a nice rebuilt one by the way.

i have a atsg a4ld manual i tried to rebuild one before but it did not work so well so im kinda scared to tare into a perfectly good tranny someone please tell me that i dont have to change out put shafts. any info would be helpfull

thanks jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you do have to swap the output shafts due to different spline counts.

pretty sure he's right....

The output shafts are different in almost all Ford 2WD/4WD versions. The latest 2002+ Ford transmissions began using a common output shaft. The older shafts are different lengths. Good luck,

if you were to put a 2ws a4ld into a 4wd explorer would you need to swap the rear drive shaft?

Back