• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2wd Long Travel Coil-Over Suspension

GIJOE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD
Well I think what helped Camburg become interested is that my friend just dumped $4000 on their Long Travel Coil-Over kit for his 95 F150.
Also I was there for about an hour and a half talking to them about the kit for our Explorers. And what also made them interested in doing a kit for the Explorer was that the kit would also work on the Ranger Edge's.
They told me that if they make a kit they want to go all out and make it really insane. They were talking about making Billet Upper A-arms for the kit and boxed Lower A-arms and custom spindles. And making some other insane things for the kit.
Now I just have to talk to them about the price range and how we are going to make this kit and when it will be finished.

Also I need to figure out what Coil-Overs to go with either King, Sway-a-Way, or Fox. I want to know what you guys think I should use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
You left out Bilstein... All the shocks are good, the valving in them is what's most important. Just choose a color shock you like and have it properly valved. The racing shocks aren't like the shelf shocks, they're all good, all rebuildable and all revalvable.

GIJOE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD
Well right now I might just go with King Coil-overs.

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
sweet KinGS!!! I heard some bad stuff about SAW's but i heard they're okay now.

btw.. that explorer from baker motorsports, is that a one piece hood and fenders? I was on the hannemann fiberglass website and was looking for a one piece hood and fender kit for explorers.. they have a one piece hood and fenders for a new ranger and maybe thought about just putting that on my mountaineer..

GIJOE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD
I think Kings will work the best for us.
As far as fiberglass I am going to try and get a hold of Hannemann and see if maybe I can get them to make fiberglass for the 2nd Gen. Explorers.
Also with this Coil-Over kit you will need to get fiberglass for thr front with at least a 5" bulge.

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
how big are the perry fenders? are they five inch bulge? because i have them... and do you think you could get hannemann to build a one piece hood and fenders?

GIJOE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD
I think Perry has two different size fenders one a is 3" bulge and the other is a 5-6" bulge. I will see if Hannemann is interested in making a one piece hood.
But there is a company I found out about last month and they make a lot of one pieces front ends they are called Fiberwerx .
You might want to call them and ask them if they make a one piece for the 2nd Gen. Explorers.

SeXpLoReR820

Reaction score
City, State
Lake arrowhead ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 expo no mods yet
Good luck with all this

I have a friend that does awesome fabwork and we were going to build a kit too but just the parts alone are 2500.00 If you plan on making a kit and doing it right I think 4-5k is the $$$ range you will be looking at. By the way I am selling my 96 explorer 4dr, 5in lift on 32's with a V8 for 5k if interested e-mail me sexplorer820@aol.com Best of luck guys!