2wd Long Travel Coil-Over Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd Long Travel Coil-Over Suspension

GIJOE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD
2wd Long Travel Coil-Over A-arm Suspension

I am starting this thread because a few people have expressed an interest in a Long Travel kit and I am wondering how many other people would buy a kit if one was available.
I am either going to design and build the kit myself or work with Baker Motorsports to make a kit available.
The Long Travel kit will only work on 95-01 2wd Explorers and will include a pair of Upper A-arms, a pair of Lower A-arms, and a pair of either 8" or 10" King Coil-Overs. Also it might included a new Spindle.
Any input on this subject you might have would be very helpful with the making of the Long Travel kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll totally be interested bro, I've talked to my buddy who builds Toyota Trophy trucks and he knows alot if you need more help... In june I'm planning on buying a kit from McNeil offroad for my 2000 Mercury and they want 5 grand... so if ur kit is way cheaper, i'll totally buy it... Try to add some Hydraulic bump stops!!! and a increased Ten Inch track width with the extended arms!!!

oh oh yeh... When you build the joints for the kit, please make sure you use really strong joints.. preferably ball joints!!! I don't wanna have a dramatic camber change after jumping it a couple times...

GIjoe, do you know how to build a 4-link for the rear?

Damn bro... If you're gonna have Baker do it!!! If any of you are considering going with the McNeil kit I'd seriously consider waiting. Especially if Baker is gonna be in on this. That shop does INSANE work!!! My friends Blazer is in there right now getting some SERIOUS suspension on it!!! Just as an idea... They're the ones behind this beast!!!

Picture-007.jpg

see the small V8 poking thru the grill???? It's been moved back like 10"!!!

McNeil in his dreams, both Perry and Chad will never put out something of his caliber!!!

Clarkkent- I for got to add that the kit will included a pair of King Hydraulic Bump Stops. Also the width will be extended about 3" per side. And after talking to Baker the joints I am going to use are Uni balls. Also yes I can make a 4-link.

Sirhk100- Yes I am getting help from Baker or I might just have him make it. You know he sold that explorer to the first person that came to look at it. Also that engine was not a V8 it was a V6 with a 6 into one exhaust header that engine was really insane. He sold that explorer because he is now building a race truck. This truck is so insane it is going to be a 2002 Explorer. When I was there they were building the molds for the fiberglass front and rear fenders. What he has done is the full roll cage and tube chassis and a radiator that is behind the front seats. The only 2002 Explorer parts on this truck is the doors and roof. When finished this race explorer will be ten times better than that one.

AMAZING!!!! Did you see a f/s Blazer in there? That's my friends ride they're doing.

I'd heard they sold that Explorer. I didn't know what was in it for a motor. Just from the photos looked to be a small V8 moved back.

I can understand Camburg and H&M, they're slammed already with custom fab stuff of their own. Baja Shop is over priced!!!

Hmmmm, tube chassis Explorer... Wonder what class he's going for? Trophey Truck is all it would be legal for if it's truely a tube chassis. Was there seriously no stock frame there that he was building off?

Nothing wrong with that!!! Baker is one of the best. Sounds like you're doing it right with uniballs for pivots on the spindles instead of b/j. Did he say if he would use heims at the frame pivots or stick with bushings? If you seriously follow through with this there's going to be a pretty good demand. Is there any reason you're not just going with one of the highend Ranger kits out there? Does the Ranger stuff not just bolt right on?

There was no stock frame he was building off of. But I could be wrong. I will try and look at it today. Also yes I did see your friends truck in there but I did look at it yet if I go today I will look at your friends truck.

His is the blazer with the lower control arms the are mounted inboard about 10" for each other. They're thinking about doing a billet upper J-Arm for it too!!!

Expressing my interest in this. Are you trying to make this completely bolt on? I just think the upper arm mounts is just too weak and may need some reinforcements. Please PLase make this kit happen and not a failed attempt. I have the money ready and just waiting! If you need a second test vehicle. Let me know. I'm live in Cerritos which is really close to O.C.

Gi joe!!!! wattup man.. man if you need a vehicle to test on(I asked first in a earlier thread scxplorer!) lemme know... you can have my truck for as long as it takes you to put one on!! i'll let you have my truck for two months!!!!!!! but yeh man..what about limiting straps?

Sirink100, so baker is alot better then mcneil.. glad you told me before i spent 5 grand on their kit... the kit i was gonna grab, was for the 98-04 ranger, have you seen that one? My friend got his 94 explorer done by mcneil and its pretty bad... btw, wats the link to the baker website, so i can check out ur frenz blazer??

SCXPLORER! are you gonna come to the pismo meet on oct. 25-26.. man it'd be bad if u could come!

baker vs. McNeil???

GiJoe, did you go to McNeil to see if they'd help?? Because McNeil specializes in Ford explorers, rangers and broncos? Heres a link to the kit that fits our explorers, check it out if anything to help you with your kit?

http://www.mcneiloff-road.com/newranger.html

are you sure that kit fits your explorer? im 95% certain it doesnt.

yeh, i talked to the guys at mcneil.. it doesnt look like it'll fit, because the guys at mcneil were going to ditch the torsion bars and replace it with that...

Ok the kit so far is going to happen. Yes the kit will have limiting straps.
Also Baker and I might be able to make this kit work on 4wd explorer but we do not know for sure yet.

SCEXPLORER- Yes I am trying to make this kit completely bolt on. Also we should meet some time and then we could talk about the kit.

Sirhk100- I was wrong about the chassis of the 2002 explorer race truck. It has a extended cab ranger chassis. John Baker told me he was going to run it in the new class in The Best In The Desert Series. The new class is called Class 7 Open. The explorer race truck of his is going to have a V6 with 500+ HP and the wheel travel in the front is going to be 20" and in the back it will be 30". Also I say your friends Blazer he showed me the insane spindles that are going on it and he has one lower control arm done.

Clarkkent- Yes I have talked to Chad McNeil many times before but he says that he was going to make a kit and that he could not help me.

Also here is the website for Baker Motorsports

If this happens, cool.. but i've heard it before....

Any idea of the price range?

No I do not have an Idea on the price range yet because the price all depends on what I am going to include in the kit.
Also more than likely this kit will happen either I will make the kit or Baker Motorsports will make the kit.

Don't expect the kit to be cheap. Most people hear the price of $2500 for a kit and drop. They don't realize that it's not some cheezy bolt on kit. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over $5000 for the front end alone. If it's coming with uni-balls, heims, and includes the c/o shocks and hyd. bumpstops expect it to be in that range if not more. Less would be cool but be ready for a large figure. This isn't your Rancho lift kit, it's going to be a quality off road kit that's going to rip off the frame before it breaks.

Khris

Well I talked to Camburg today and I finally got them interested in the kit. So now I have a choice of either me making the kit or Baker Motorsports making it or Camburg making it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow finally. How did you get them to be interested? I tried to talk to them about a kit a while back and was just rejected. They're both good companies so whoever is cheaper and can work on it the fastest is the best way to go.

Back