• Register Today It's free!

2WD to 4WD Conversion

DavidJLund

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddy Bauer
I recently purchased a 2WD 98 Eddy Bauer with 5.0L V8 with a 4R70W automatic transmission. I've done some research that leads me to believe that all of the 4WD components will bolt up. I have a 98 4R70W from a 4WD that I can use the tail housing and output shaft from. I am a mechanic and am capable of doing the work. My questions are related to the PMC interface and if I even need to interface to it. First: if I use a BW 4404 AWD transfercase, are there any electrical interface considerations. If I use an electronic shift transfer case, are the cables and connectors in place or can they be run from the donor vehicle? Will the computer have to be changed out? Are there other sensors (steering angle, vehicle speed, etc) that have to be considered?

This vehicle is going to be used onroad to pull a camper and very light trail riding. How much of a MPG penalty do you pay with the AWD version.

Thanks for all your help. Dave...

AWD conversion

David I don't know how to answer any of your questions about the conversion itself, but i can tell you that i have an 06 auto 4x4 (different than awd) and i get about 15 city and 24 highway, thats better than the EPA rating and my EX is totaly stock!

So you dont have to worry about the electronics, easiest route would be to go with the BW4406 manually shifter transfer case -- this case is not an AWD but a true selectable 4wd transfer case (with LOW range). A few on the forum have swapped out their 4404 AWD case for this 4406, so a quick Search should return a few hits.

Back