2wd to 4wd Converted Ex sitting on 38x15.5 tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4wd Converted Ex sitting on 38x15.5 tires

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
OK so here is a local Explorer I have run across and I want to see what your comments on it are. We'll see how savvy you are.

The guy has custom built his own lift kit supposedly. The rear he has custom installed dual shocks and has the platforms in for his dual airbag set up to get 8" of lift. He is going to ditch the leaf springs once the bags are in.

All pics are in my photo gallery but here are a few

9485White_Ex_014-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_002-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_001-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_016-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_005-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_008-med.jpg

9485White_Ex_003-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All show no go it seems to me. Where's the flex???

Wow - not much flex room - just what I was thinking too and is that the TTB I see under there? I hope he plans a SAS soon with those 38s. But it does look good.....thanks for sharing - I was hoping you were gonna put these pics up!

Come on guys where's all the experienced guys to give some critique. There are a few surprises on this vehicle can you find them.

yes that is a TTB and he even plans on adding some 44's to it

- no wheelwell left
- exhaust out the center...........come on now
- Pyramid Audio sucks
- the four shocks on the back are great..................for going to the mall
- is that D35 welded?

I see:
Rust
Dents
No Badging (But holes left)
Painted mirrors
Etc

I almost feel bad for this explorer :) A little more work and it may be alot better.

that's a d28 instead of a d35 - great idea! :rolleyes: but at least it has d35 internals!

that's a 7.5 not an 8.8 back there - good move! :rolleyes:

the exhaust looks really really ghey

enough clearance for mall speed bumps MAYBE

some big thing covering the rear hatch glass

blinging shocks!!!!

btw: i saw a thread about this truck the other day that kurt posted..

Hokie said:
... the need for a much bigger/strong axle up front

Hmmmm now why would you say that????

robb said:
- is that D35 welded?

I can say NO! To that one.

Trckmagik said:
I almost feel bad for this explorer A little more work and it may be alot better.

Well I for one do feel bad for this Explorer. I mean it looks nice but........ it has problems... serious problems!!!

jasonb said:
that's a d28 instead of a d35 - great idea! :rolleyes: at least it has new paint

that's a 7.5 not an 8.8 back there - good move! :rolleyes:

the exhaust looks really really ghey

enough clearance for mall speed bumps MAYBE

some big thing covering the rear hatch glass

blinging shocks!!!!

btw: i saw a thread about this truck the other day that kurt posted..

JasonB I don't know for sure on the rear bring a 7.5 but I suspect it. The rear diff looks different than my 8.8 covers. Mainly the thickness at the bottom bolts. But the front being a D28......on the money you are right!
9485White_Ex_010-med.jpg

see the upper ball joint that not a d35. It is ribbed like a d28 and it has a nut on the top. and since he claims to have gotten the front and rear axle off the same vehicle I am pretty sure the rear is a 7.5!! Also the manual hubs up front say FORD on them in the red area and the only ones I have seen like that come on the early rangers.

Now he has been running these 38's for a year now and claims to have had no problems. He also has not installed a t-case or a front driveshaft so I suspect the probles will come later. But he is also planning on putting some 44" boggers on it that he has. :nono: Can we say KABOOM!!!!!

But when I turn on my x-ray vision, I can see that he has D35 internals in there, so I am half right! :bounce:

Well see that is what I am not certain of. I took a pic of the rear of the front diff and it is ribbed so it quite possibly could be the talked about but rarely seen hybrid d35 inners with d28 outside.

SHAME shame on him for doing this

i saw your other post where you talk about that explorer.. that's how i knew that stuff.. i wouldn't know what the d28 looks like!

Back