• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4wd swap

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Is it possible to swap all the 4wd components of a 99 5.0 to a 2wd 5.0? Would it be very involved?

I have a 1998 5.0 4wd I got for cheap that is very cosmetic lacking and have a great 1999 5.0 2wd that's ageing. I'd like to swap everything from the 98 to the 99 if it's possible..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, anything is possible,the real question is: Is it worth the time and effort to do so? Also, 5.0 Explorers only came available with AWD (all wheel drive), 4WD (four wheel drive) was only available on the v6 models. AWD and 4WD are similar, but function differently. Alot of people convert from AWD to 4WD with their 5.0 Explorers, I think this is what you want to do, but to add 4WD to an original 2WD vehicle is possible, but a major undertaking.

Okay well then to Awd? I guess this might be a easier question is the engine compatible between the two without changing anything?

Its actually not a terrible conversion

The answer to your question is yes it is very possible

Involved? A little bit
To convert a 2wd 5.0 truck to AWD you :

Swap 99 RWD transmission for 98 AWD version of transmission
Install 98 AWD t case, front and rear driveshafts
Install 98 front differential with 3.73 gears (all 5.0 are 3.73 gears)
Install 98 knuckles, wheel bearings and CV axles from AWD truck

You are done

Swapping transmissions is the hardest part
All of the bolt holes for the front differential are in place
The 2wd knuckles, spindles and wheel bearings lack the provisions for the CV axles, but otherwise all of the 4wd stuff will bolt in

Hope this helps!

I'm also confused because my donor car has the auto, hi, lol selectors on the dash? So both 4wd and awd have that?

98 pcm might not be happy with 99 transmission. 98 is return fuel system 99 is returnless. This make the PCM wiring swap harder.

I don't think it will be as easy as just throwing in the 99 4wd transmission using the 98 pcm.

I'm also confused because my donor car has the auto, hi, lol selectors on the dash? So both 4wd and awd have that?
It must have the V6 engine then if it has the 4WD switch on the dash.

It must have the V6 engine then if it has the 4WD switch on the dash.

It's the 5.0l engine has V8 letters on the side. I'm going to go pull the dash bezel and see if it's connected to anything or just there

Why does the pcm care if you are return or returnless?
It does not it just turns on the fuel pump

If you have a 98 5.0L RWD and you install a 99 5.0L AWD transmission and t case there is no wiring involved
The 98-01 4r70w all have the same wiring for the solenoids and digital DTRS

The radio bezel may have been replaced with a more common 4wd bezel at some point. The bezel with 4wd delete is harder to find.

Why does the pcm care if you are return or returnless?
It does not it just turns on the fuel pump

If you have a 98 5.0L RWD and you install a 99 5.0L AWD transmission and t case there is no wiring involved
The 98-01 4r70w all have the same wiring for the solenoids and digital DTRS

because the wiring configuration and connectors are all different between return and returnless. Injectors are different, sensor wiring is all different.

It's a 2wd so there goes my whole idea. The bezel lead me to believe It had 4x4. I don't see a transfer case? Underneath they look identical except for the oil pan. Oh well for 500 have a good engine and transmission to put in my baby :)

I see what you are saying Jon but you do not have to mess with the PCM to change 4r70w transmissions from RWD to AWD

An easy way to tell if your V8 explorer is RWD or AWD is to look for CV axles in the front suspension :)

Back