• Register Today It's free!

2wd transfer case idea

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
my truck is a 1999 sport 4.0 ohv with the 5spd manual in her. she is also 2wd. i currently dont have the money for a full swap over to 4wd, but would like to slowly start. also i want the ability to use low range when offroad or pulling boats up the ramp etc...

so here is my question - will i need a whole new tranny or can i just unbolt my tailshaft and install the transfer case in its place? also would an older manual t case fit or do i need to fight with a newer electronic T case. would i need a new cross member?

ANY help/ideas/comments appreciated!
thanks guys

Hello, doing a SAS right now on my 2wd 98 Sport, the manual trans tail section is different on the 4wd (bolts to the transfer-case) the out put shaft is about 3" longer on the 4wd and so when I got ready for the swap I needed a new tail section for the transmission new out put shaft and a BW 1354 manual transfer case. you have to tare down the hole transmission to swap the rear out-put shaft install the new tail section. I sent mine over to a shop to get done and all the work ran me about $700 plus buying the parts. So if I had to do it again I think I would have got a 4wd set-up and just installed it, would have been less money. On the question of running the transfer case in low to the rear with out having it hooked up to the front... Don't know if that's a good idea or not but I would think you would be putting a lot of uneven force on the transfer case?? Someone else on here should be better at answering that one. Just a side note it uses the same cross member under the trans so you will not need a new one.

Hope this helps and good luck, I have been planing this swap for about 5 years and its almost done!!

Hope this helps and good luck, I have been planing this swap for about 5 years and its almost done!!

THANKS! you just answered all my questions about the swap (but brought up another one... didnt think of the uneven force issue.)

after reading what you said i may have to just save up for a while and swap tranny w/ t case....

and congrats and goodluck on the SAS! cant wait to see the finished product. i know once out of college i plan on putting a D44 under mine...

Dont worry about using 2wd low, it wont hurt the case. Many people have run the t-case in low with the hubs unlocked, its really the same thing. Basically the chain and front output are just along for the ride without a front drive.
I've even run my truck (I'm not easy on anything) without a rear driveshaft, without damaging the t-case. (front wheel drive burnouts!)

Back