2x4 - 4x4 conversion write up is here! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2x4 - 4x4 conversion write up is here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not bad. I am Going to be finishing 4x4 conversion #2 in a few weeks. I am glad to see yours worked out.

Thanks. Yeah it works great now that I have all the bug worked out of it. The whole auto tcase thing was a bad idea from the start, so i wish i would have gone manual instead of spending another 400 bucks on the tcase and linkages, etc. It also took ford 3 months to get the linkages in. I had to "modify" the tranny hump plate a bit b/c of my body lift, and other than this everything went smooth.

How is your newest project turning out? I know you had changed your plans a bit for the new X, so what all are you going to do to it?

Chris

It is Getting a dana 35 with 5.13 gears and detroit ez-locker. The Rear is getting 5.13 gears powertrax locker with new disc brakes. The Tranny and T-case are in the Truck already. It has 36 super swamper TSL SX's

Today I spent the Day swapping rear axles from One truck to the other. So the Truck I use off-road has the power trax locker.

So you took the axle out of your Navajo then? Did you do a disc brake swap on it, or did you get it out of a 95+ /w rear disc? I am guessing stock tranny and tcase also.

Chris

Yeah the Axle is out of the Navajo. I bought the 95+ Disc brake parts off E-bay. I am Going to put them on the Axle now that I have it torn down. The A4LD was rebuilt with a shift kit and heavy duty Torque converter. The T-case was rebuilt as well manual shift 13-54

Kris.. do you know if anyone has done a 95+ 2WD to 4WD conversion?

I dont know any one that has done one. I have looked at the 95+ Explorers and know it is possible.

I hope so, cause I'm doing one this weekend! Check it Dead Link Removed I was just wondering if someone had completed one yet who could give me tips/advice.

Do you have any heads up for me?

section525, good luck to ya! The only peice of advice I can give to you, since you are swapping chassis rather than just drivertrain/suspension parts, is wait until the project is complete to drink the beer :chug: . Learned that the hard way... seems a lot harder to get the bolts in the holes and the nuts on the bolts when you can only use one eye ;) . Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Section 525's 4x4 conversion is a tad bit different than the format they are talking about here, but unique.........lol. Heck, if ya don't have 4x4, just switch to a different frame, keep it simple, right??!!

section's conversion seams to me a bit harder to complete over all. While you could have used the 99 Drive train with out swapping your Body on to the 99 Frame. The biggest problem I see is your having to rewire so much. And how are you wiring the AWD T-case to the 96 Computer?

The AWD tcases are all mechanical. The truck doesn't know whether its there or not!

Ok. I didnt know that. It just looks like a lot of work to me. Good luck let us know how it goes.

hey im new.. but im looking to swap from 4x4 to 2wd for a "street" truck.. haha.. so if anyone is interested they can have EVERY SINGLE PIECE of my 4x4 mechanics, so long as i dont need it to drive daily.. free of cost, just come take em off!! hah..

no seriously though.. is it hard to swap the other way?? would i need new parts, etc..??

oh.. and since im here.. while i do that would it be a good time to put in my 5.0???

Originally posted by elemenopee
hey im new.. but im looking to swap from 4x4 to 2wd for a "street" truck.. haha.. so if anyone is interested they can have EVERY SINGLE PIECE of my 4x4 mechanics, so long as i dont need it to drive daily.. free of cost, just come take em off!! hah..

no seriously though.. is it hard to swap the other way?? would i need new parts, etc..??

oh.. and since im here.. while i do that would it be a good time to put in my 5.0???
I'm sorry this is off topic guys. But if you're really interested in doing this, I would be interested in your CV axles and hub assemblies.

elemenopee, i havn;t looked much into the differences between the second gen 2wd and 4wd's but if you want to make a trip down to VA i'll do it for ya! Just give me some time to read up ;) . But basically the easist way to do it is to buy a donor truck, or find one at a yard and pull everything 2wd related off.

elemenopee,

Why are you wanting to convert to 2wd on 95+ I have only heard of converting a 4x4 to 2wd on a 91-94 for the sake of lowering it. You can lower a 95+ 4x4 with out converting to 2wd

isles, what lift do have under your truck and what size tires are you running, it looks like the same amount of lift as me but the tires look a little bit bigger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
elemenopee,

Why are you wanting to convert to 2wd on 95+ I have only heard of converting a 4x4 to 2wd on a 91-94 for the sake of lowering it. You can lower a 95+ 4x4 with out converting to 2wd

yeah it's to lower it... i dont know too much about 4x4 but if my truck doesnt have it, it saves me about 400 dollars every six months insurance *(i pay about 2600 every six months)* and the 4x4 isnt any good when i lower it more than 4 inches right? cuz the shaft that goes into it would be at a bad angle... thats what i was told anyway...

i should make this a new thread.. sorry you guys.. i didnt mean to bring it too far off topic.. isles4evr i'll message you..

Back