3.0L Aerostar water pump removal & installation. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.0L Aerostar water pump removal & installation.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
The Aerostar is known for limited space under the hood, but it's still possible to do most repairs without learning to be a contortionist. The water pump replacement would have been a little easier if the Ford engineers would have made the alternator bracket with a slight arch to get a socket under it. Another odd thing is that they interchange 2 sizes of bolts instead of keeping everything the same size. One last thought. The 3.0L uses recessed bolts on the water pump pulley which makes it a little tough to grab when you want to hold the pulley in place. The 4.0L does not have a recess. These pictures were taken on my 89. Later 3.0L engines such as on my 96 use a different alternator, and only have one drive belt.

Now with the fan clutch (7/8" or 22MM wrench size) removed, you could see the set up with the belt orientation:
3_0L_belts_water_pump_.jpg

You have to remove both belts. Start with the alternator belt:
Alternator_with_adjuster_.jpg

The next belt is the inner one which is on the power steering pump:
Power_steering_pump_with_idler_adjustment_.jpg

It's now a good time to remove the alternator bracket:
One_bolt_is_hidden_under_the_alternator_bracket_.jpg

You could see where my greasy hand is pointing to. It's the location of the upper water pump bolt. You have to remove this bracket to get to it. The water pump could now be unbolted from the engine block. Here's a picture of the water pump out of the vehicle:
3_0L_water_pump_.jpg

This is the back of it:
3_0L_water_pump_rear_view_.jpg

This is the part on the engine without the pump:
Pump_is_removed_.jpg

This concludes the removal half of this thread. The next half will be the installation. The reason that the pump was removed was because the paper gasket blew out on the highway while it was only 3 months old. The pump is from Autozone with a lifetime warranty.

Back