3.27 overdrive and gas mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.27 overdrive and gas mileage

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
People seem to think that the 3.27 is not the best rear end for city driving and possibly not the best for 70mph and less on the highway. I was driving my explorer today (3.27 rear end)and it dawned on me that if I take it out of overdrive that the rpms increase and that the truck stays more in the powerband during acceleration.
Do you think that staying out of overdrive would actually get better gas mileage during speeds under 70? It seems like it would be more like having a 3.73 and using overdrive. Am I totally wrong in assuming this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct in your thinking the 3.27 is not optimal for gas mileage.

What RPMs are you running at 70 MPH with and w/o the OD engaged?

i would think that anytime you use the overdrive gear you would be getting better gas milage....anytime rpm's are going at a slower rate compared to your end speed you would be getting optium mpg for that gear. as for wear.....i would think that the over drive gear see's more wear of sorts ,useally the over drive funtion of the transmission is most likelly the first thing to go out on a transmission imo .

i would think that anytime you use the overdrive gear you would be getting better gas milage....anytime rpm's are going at a slower rate compared to your end speed you would be getting optium mpg for that gear. as for wear.....i would think that the over drive gear see's more wear of sorts ,useally the over drive funtion of the transmission is most likelly the first thing to go out on a transmission imo .

Your logic, while quite common, is flawed.

The optimal gas mileage occurs when the engine is at optimal RPMs, not necessarily lower one.

ahh, well thanks for the correction.

Aldive, about 2500rpms off the top of my head. I could easily be wrong though.

I will post more detailed info later as well as my gas mileage as I am going on a 300 mile trip.

I, too, have the manual and the 3.27. In overdrive, the engine is at 1900-2100 RPMs at 65MPH.

Sounds about right. I've got 3.08's and in OD @ 75 I'm running 2100-2200 rpm.

With my 3.73 gearing and stock size tires I turn the following RPMs:

55 MPH = 1800 RPM
65 MPH = 2150 RPM
70 MPH = 2300 RPM

@Aldive

IIRC I was at about 2750 at 70 mph without OD engaged, 300 at 75.
What do you think the optimal RPMs are for the powerband and gas mileage? I drove about 290 miles and will be able to give you an accurate MPG calculation when I fill up tommorow. On the way back to NC I will use OD on the highway. At what speed do you think I should engage the OD anyway?

What do you think the optimal RPMs are for the powerband and gas mileage?

For your vehicle you will need to do some testing to determine the answer.

For mine, it is 1800 RPM which translates to 55 MPH. Remember wind resistance is a major factor.

At what speed do you think I should engage the OD anyway?

Mine is never ( except in some heavy towing situations ) turned off.

On the trip up I got 18.28 mpg with OD off, on the way back I got 20.18 with OD. I was doing about 70mph the whole way. I suspect however that I may get better mpg at lower speed with OD turned off. I will do some more testing.

People seem to think that the 3.27 is not the best rear end for city driving and possibly not the best for 70mph and less on the highway.

I think you’re probably right about the city driving part. But a 3.27 axle should be good for highway driving.

From what I’ve read, as long as the engine isn’t too small for the vehicle, numerically lower axle ratios generally have better highway fuel economy. The exception is when the engine is under extreme load such as towing. For towing and driving in stop-and-go traffic conditions, numerically higher axle ratios can have better fuel economy. With this in mind:

Ford has announced that its 2008 F-250 and F-350 heavy duty trucks will come with new fuel saving measures. The revised trucks will come equipped with 3.55 rear axle ratio — instead of the current truck's 3.73 setup — as well as a 3.93 inch (100 mm) chin spoiler.

Despite the numerically lower ratio, Ford claims the trucks will keep their current tow ratings. However, acceleration times will likely suffer.

The improvements should net about a 1.5 mpg improvement over current fuel economy. Three-quarter and one-ton trucks are not required to carry an EPA fuel economy rating so an exact measurement of the improvements is hard to discern, but likely in the 10 to 15-percent range.

"We are making the 3.55 standard and when that's combined with new front-end aerodynamic improvements, there will be about a 1.5 mpg improvement," said Ford trucks spokesperson Wes Sherwood. He continued: "Ford is constantly looking to innovate with its trucks. Fuel economy is on people's minds right now and we're not going to wait until the next model year to make a change. We're going to implement changes like this as soon as we can."

You are correct in your thinking the 3.27 is not optimal for gas mileage.

Al, you say a 3.27 axle is not optimal. I'm not disputing it, but I'd like to know the reasoning behind your statement.

My 93 Explorer Sport has the 3.27 Limited Slip “Performance Axle” and an automatic transmission. Everything on my truck is still stock though my transmission is a new A4LD-HD (Ford’s A4LD tranny with all the updates). It has approximately 6,000 miles on it. Here are my RPMs maintaining speed on level road, driving in OD:

45 - 1500
55 - 1750
65 - 2050
70 - 2200​

My Explorer is my daily driver and I use it for my work commute to and from my job downtown. So I drive a combination of highway and city miles. I also have some terrain including one fairly large hill. I just filled up last night and here’s the data from my last tank:

Fuel Used: 14.13 gallons
Distance Driven: 288.9 miles
Miles per gallon: 20.44​

What do you think the optimal RPMs are for the powerband and gas mileage? At what speed do you think I should engage the OD anyway?

I know these questions were for Al. But I thought I’d share some stuff too. The biggest problem I see with the 3.27 is it’s poor acceleration. This means you may run high RPMs for longer than you would with slower gears because it takes you longer to get up to speed, burning more fuel. To try to save fuel, I used to accelerate slowly up to speed to keep the RPMs down. But I've found a firm acceleration to get up to speed quicker is more fuel efficient. Just don’t stomp on it. This really kicks up the RPMs, burning more fuel.

As for driving speeds, 55 is where I get my best mileage too. Above 67, mpg begins to drop lock a rock. As Al points out, wind resistance has a huge effect on fuel economy. According to Roger Clark, senior manager for General Motors Integration and Fuel Economy Learning Vehicles Program (FELVP), which handles EPA testing of all GM trucks and SUVs:

The best fuel economy for the typical truck or SUV is cruising right around 40mph. The EPA test cycle for the highway fuel economy number averages 48mph with a top speed of 60mph.

A good example of how drag affects fuel economy is a truck that has a 21mpg highway EPA number. Drive at a 10-percent higher average speed (53mph) and drag causes fuel economy to fall about 1.5mpg. Average 60mph and mileage will drop another 1.5mpg. Run just above70mph and now fuel economy is less than 14mpg instead of 21mpg.

Do you think that staying out of overdrive would actually get better gas mileage during speeds under 70? It seems like it would be more like having a 3.73 and using overdrive. Am I totally wrong in assuming this?

Like Al I’ve been using OD the time. But I like you, began wondering about it and just started testing the effect of staying out of OD for speeds under 55 (below where OD usually kicks in). There are two reasons for this. First, the added torque without OD which may help reduce acceleration times without unduly raising RPMs. Second, being out of OD may reduce friction (Al or any of the transmission guys, I’d like your thoughts on this). This is from Heavy Duty Trucking’s Guide to Fuel Economy:

An overdrive top-gear ratio is usually paired with a slow (numerically high) axle ratio, and a direct-drive transmission is used with a fast (numerically low) axle.

A direct-drive top gear can save a bit of fuel. That's because it involves fewer gears in the transmission and less churning of lubricant. Controlled tests show the reduced friction of a direct-drive transmission saves up to 2% in fuel at cruising speed. Some fleet managers have measured some savings in tank mileage, and you may or may not see it at the pump. The more varied your cruising speed and operating conditions, the less actual savings you'd get from this or any other component that is most effective at relatively high speeds.

On the trip up I got 18.28 mpg with OD off, on the way back I got 20.18 with OD. I was doing about 70mph the whole way. I suspect however that I may get better mpg at lower speed with OD turned off. I will do some more testing.

I’ll be interested in your results as well.

Acceleration is what eats most fuel, and the higher ratios do that more efficiently. Once at speed cruising, the lowest gear ratios will produce the best fuel mileage. Cruising means off throttle, not half throttle going up hills.

The key is to select the ratios that best match your vehicle usage. If you can say that you rarely slow down for hills, traffic, lights etc, then lower ratios will be best for that. It's a compromise, we have discovered along with Ford during the 90's that the 3.73's are about the best for typical driving. If you drove hundreds of miles at a time on flat highways, rarely in cities, then you need 3.55's or 3.27's.

My old 91 4WD with 3.27's got worse mileage than my 93 4WD with 3.73's. Now I have a 99 4WD with 4.10's and I believe that this gearing is a little too much for my driving. I'm changing to 3.73's if things work out this Summer. Regards,

Acceleration is what eats most fuel, and the higher ratios do that more efficiently. Once at speed cruising, the lowest gear ratios will produce the best fuel mileage. Cruising means off throttle, not half throttle going up hills.

So do you think that not using the OD during city driving is a good idea?

Aldive, when I am running at 70mph, I am running about 1900rpms with OD on. With it off, I am running about 2400rpms. Do you think it would be better to run with the OD off? I will test this out of curiosity, eventually, but just curious what your thoughts are. Since I have 31's, do you think letting it rev up to the 2400 would be better? I ask, because sometimes it is really pushing to keep the speed up in od, do you think that it might just be wasting fuel at that low of rpm's at that speed?

Aldive, when I am running at 70mph, I am running about 1900rpms with OD on. With it off, I am running about 2400rpms. Do you think it would be better to run with the OD off? I will test this out of curiosity, eventually, but just curious what your thoughts are. Since I have 31's, do you think letting it rev up to the 2400 would be better? I ask, because sometimes it is really pushing to keep the speed up in od, do you think that it might just be wasting fuel at that low of rpm's at that speed?

Difficult to answer. My first thought would be to use the OD, however, I believe you need to do a mileage test both ways to determine what is best for YOU. Be sure to post the results.

Good luck ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the transmission functions properly, it should select the best gear for mileage. I prefer a trans which shifts down readily, and waits to shift up a little higher than designers planned.

If the trans does not downshift with a good amount of throttle at cruising, then it should. But if the throttle is very light, cruising and not lugging the engine, then the higher gear is best for mileage.

The best fuel mileage should come in the very bottom of the torque peak, not at the peak. I believe that that rpm is in the low 2000 range, 1700 may be a hair low.

Back