3.3 Police explorer Timing mark dont match on bank 2 side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.3 Police explorer Timing mark dont match on bank 2 side

MartinPlam

Reaction score
City, State
Canada Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2020 3.3
Hi am working on a 3.3 police explorer and had issue with advance and retard timing code . Using the camshaft allignement tool to lock them . the intake bank 2 camshaft mark don’t align with the VVT solenoid hole like supposed but align perfectly on bank 1 side . I talked with few ford tech and we think that the camshaft maybe have twist . This camshaft is not in cast iron but the 3 other one are . If someone have any advance tip or extra information let me know ! Local ford dealer have never saw this . It’s a 2020 with 160 000 kilometer so it’s kind of normal

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_3419.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

I don't have the knowledge to really help you out, but I find it odd that three out of four camshafts are cast iron and the fourth is not. I would check part numbers and Ford part lists to see if the correct parts are in the engine. If there is a discrepancy that might be your answer. The photos suggest the mark is off by about 10 degrees which seems to be a lot for the cam to "twist".

I don't have the knowledge to really help you out, but I find it odd that three out of four camshafts are cast iron and the fourth is not. I would check part numbers and Ford part lists to see if the correct parts are in the engine. If there is a discrepancy that might be your answer. The photos suggest the mark is off by about 10 degrees which seems to be a lot for the cam to "twist".
The camshaft have an extra cam for the fuel injection that’s probably why he’s not on cast iron . I worked on multiple timing job on 3.5 and 3.7 it’s the first time I have this issue it’s very wierd

Back