3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

sherwing2000

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sports
premium gas

Do u guys use regular or premium gas to your sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do u guys use regular or premium gas to your sport?
There have been several discussions on this and it appears that there are users of both regular and premium. If you want the top performance that the engine can deliver, then use premium. Otherwise regular seems to do the job for many Sport owners.
You can probably use the Forum's 'Search' function to find some of these posts.

Do you have a Sport? There is no indication in your profile (left margin) of what you are driving.

Peter

I use premium .

Thanks for all replies. Yes, i have a sport.

I'd say read this.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/gasoline-octane-myths.html

Pretty much, a boosted car runs at a higher pressure and thus hotter. As the octane rating increases the fuel is less likely to detonate prematurely. Since all the modern cars have a lot of engine management software that prevents detonation through knock sensors and timing reduction you can pretty much run 87 with no issues other then performance.

Just knowing that roughly, for each degree of timing the computer pulls you'll lose 3-5 hp so expect timing reductions of 5-15 degrees. This is not engine specific, just the basics of how it works.

A lot of vehicles can't make any more power on higher octane and it's just a waste of money, but boosted cars and high compression NA motors will. I'd say run at least 89 if you can, and 91/93 if it's available in your area.

I run 87 but may switch to 93 on the next fillup. I just lost a race yesterday to my brother's 2011 F250 4-door Diesel. I am stock and he has a chip and exhaust. It was very close but I was at his front door from 30-80 from a roll. Just normal mode with traction control on, didn't have time to move everything to where it should be. :) Would like to have been in sand mode and then normal with the traction control off. Maybe the better gas would have put me in front, the chip he has gives him ~500hp and 1150Ft.Lbs. of torque though. I guess I can't be too mad about it. :)

Don't be - those turbo diesels trucks are STOUT !

and be careful from a standing start - 4 wheel drive and boosted launches can get him sub 2.0 second 60 footers :)

I know, am on my fourth one and have tuned all the previous ones, just haven't tuned my 2012 6.7 (yet!) stock it has 400 hp and 800 lbft so it tugs my 5th wheel around well as it is...

on edit - forgot to add -
Use what you'd like to use...

the manual states:
ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
Engine 3.5L V6 engine
3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine
Required fuel Minimum 87 octane

BUT - extra performance if premium is used :)

I would do what the owner manual says and not waste your money

XSport? What gas do you use?

I noticed my tailpipes are covered in black soot. Even my driveway has 2 black soot spots.. Only 3k miles I don't think this is normal.
Is it because of the fuel grade I'm using? Are the xSports suppose to run on premium octane only?
Thanks Richard

Tailpipes covered in black soot

I've ran nothing but 87 octane. Only 3k miles on my 14 sport now.
Is this caused by cheap gas? Wonder if 91 octane will stop this?

I think there was a thread on this already, may want to search for it. However, it isnt based on the fuel, which I can tell you because I use premium gas all the time.

I think there was a thread on this already, may want to search for it. However, it isnt based on the fuel, which I can tell you because I use premium gas all the time.

I did do a search on black soot, nothing
You find a thread about black soot on tailpipes.

I noticed my tailpipes are covered in black soot. Even my driveway has 2 black soot spots.. Only 3k miles I don't think this is normal.
Is it because of the fuel grade I'm using? Are the xSports suppose to run on premium octane only?
Thanks Richard
From the Owner's Guide;

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow.

I'm running 87 octane in my MKT with the Ecoboost so I'll keep an eye out for that 'soot' issue. It might take a while. First fill was April 1st and I still have over a 1/3 of a tank left.:)

Peter

There is no doubt that going from 87 to 94 octane will improve performance. After all, premium is the 'recommended' fuel for the Sport. 91 octane, in my opinion, is not premium gasoline. It is a mid range gas. I don't understand why someone would pay big bucks for a 'performance' engine and then run it on regular gas and be happy with subpar engine performance.:scratch:

Peter

If you are racing at stop lights, towing, or other activities you may need every edge you can get and need premium in a turbo.

But octane has nothing to do with energy in the gas. Yes timing will make a slight difference in power but not noticeable by most people in day to day driving.

Optimal mpg will require premium in a turbo, but unlikely economical.

If the computers and sensors are working I would not worry about hurting the engine

regular gas is likely most economical and a good choice most of the time and most people will still be happy with the performance. Heck I'm happy with my naturally aspirated v6.

If you are racing at stop lights, towing, or other activities you may need every edge you can get and need premium in a turbo.

But octane has nothing to do with energy in the gas. Yes timing will make a slight difference in power but not noticeable by most people in day to day driving.

Optimal mpg will require premium in a turbo, but unlikely economical.

If the computers and sensors are working I would not worry about hurting the engine

regular gas is likely most economical and a good choice most of the time and most people will still be happy with the performance. Heck I'm happy with my naturally aspirated v6.
When I posted the message you quoted, Ford Canada, on its website had 'Premium' gas as the recommended fuel. That has since been removed. The Owner's Guide still recommends it if you tow a lot for optimum performance. I recently acquired another vehicle which has the 3.5L Ecoboost and am still getting used to the increased response to even slight pedal pressure. I intend to use 87 octane fuel and was also very happy with the 3.5L N.A. engine in the Ex.
Regular is selling for around $6.30 an Imperial gallon. Premium would be closer to $7.

Peter

I used premium for the 1st 2000km and have switched to regular since. I have not noticed a change in mileage or performance. Perhaps I would if I drove hard or went to a track but I don't. I usually drive with a light foot and when I have needed the power to pass, regular in the V6 ecoboost has provided more than enough power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back