3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

I used premium for the 1st 2000km and have switched to regular since. I have not noticed a change in mileage or performance. Perhaps I would if I drove hard or went to a track but I don't. I usually drive with a light foot and when I have needed the power to pass, regular in the V6 ecoboost has provided more than enough power.

SMART

If you ever need 4% +/- better performance when you put the pedal to the medal buy premium and add money to my 401k as I am sure there is some energy stocks in the S&P 500 that I own. Of course your mpg will be the same most of the time.

IF you prefer saving for your retirement buy regular.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just filled up with 94 at Chevron and today it was $1.73L or $6,57G.....insane.

Is your Explorer SPORT Tuned?

No just stock tuning.

As a side note I'm currently in Kansas City at Police Fleet Expo and they just did the Ride and Drive today at KCPD Track. I got to drive the new EcoBoost Utility Interceptor, and just as I thought they tuned it WAY different then our Sports.......I want that OEM tune. Probably will never get it but man do I want it. Its like a different vehicle, shift points are noticeably firmer and much quicker.

No just stock tuning.

As a side note I'm currently in Kansas City at Police Fleet Expo and they just did the Ride and Drive today at KCPD Track. I got to drive the new EcoBoost Utility Interceptor, and just as I thought they tuned it WAY different then our Sports.......I want that OEM tune. Probably will never get it but man do I want it. Its like a different vehicle, shift points are noticeably firmer and much quicker.

No need for 94 octane without a tune in your Sport. 89 is fine until you turn the wick up…save your dough.

Do the Police Interceptors have Boosted 3.5s now?

I have heard mixed opinions. Some say regular and some say high octane (91-93). What are you guys running in your 3.5 ecoboost?

I have heard mixed opinions. Some say regular and some say high octane (91-93). What are you guys running in your 3.5 ecoboost?

Plan on 93 , thats what we are used to coming from an Acura

Like to know what others are though.

Regular 87 octane, as per manual.

However manual also says premium will offer "improved" performance whatever that means. I may try a tank sometime to see if there is any difference. Manual also suggests premium for severe duty, trailer pulling etc.

After getting out of a long line of vehicles requiring premium, its nice to use regular.

My brother has a 2013 Sport, and the dealer told him to run premium, that regular gas puts the engine in a retarded state and lowers the gas mileage. He claims he gets better mileage on premium.

I've only ran one tank of 87 octane, my first fill up. All refill's after have been 93 octane. Yes, I do notice a difference. To me the throttle response is a bit quicker with 93 octane. I drive hard and want the most when I need it. So spending $5 more a tank fill up it's worth it to me to go with 93...

I always run 92 or 93 whichever the station has. To me it's worth it for the extra couple dollars.

We always fill up with 98. I have the perception that the engine sound is sweeter in comparison to 95; but I can be challenged on that.

We only have 95 and 98 here.

We always fill up with 98. I have the perception that the engine sound is sweeter in comparison to 95; but I can be challenged on that.

We only have 95 and 98 here.

WOW! All I can get is 93 unless I want to start adding Octane to my tank on a per bottle basis.

Since edino is in Dubai, I think they use a different rating system for octane.

I run 87 in mine. I ran 93 for a while and honestly I don’t remember the performance impact. I’m sure there’s power to be left on the table. I can say there was no change to mileage and in fact, I may be getting better mileage with the 87.

there's a video floating around from a ford mechanic talking about ecoboost in general...can't find it but my takeaway at the time was to run premium fuel... so we do...for the difference in price per tank... not really a big deal for a small piece of mind

Even before I installed the Livernois tune, I always ran 93 octane. This 4,900 lb ride needs all the help it can get!

I always run 93 octane as well. And yeah, 4900 lb is a lot of mass to move. I wonder if the new platinum and sport will weigh the same or more.

91 octane (highest readily available here) ethanol free! Seems like I read somewhere the ecoboost doesn't like high amounts of ethanol? So I went online and found stations around that offer ethanol free...

Regular 87 octane, as per manual.

However manual also says premium will offer "improved" performance whatever that means. I may try a tank sometime to see if there is any difference. Manual also suggests premium for severe duty, trailer pulling etc.

After getting out of a long line of vehicles requiring premium, its nice to use regular.
On the Ecoboost line, the engines are generally rated for premium both power and mpg wise for marketing, regular is fine but it lowers power and mpg (not a lot but it's there). When I had my Sport I ran premium, you could definitely feel the extra power and mpg was better. On my wife's Fusion with the 2.0t it even states the power/mpg numbers are for premium and 87 is fine but will basically gimp both of those back some. Makes a noticeable difference on her car as well. I think that's one of the complaints across the line people don't realize especially complaining about mpg, that their running 87 b/c everything they read says it's fine and dealers will say the same, which is technically true, just not going to be operating at "optimum" specs ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular 87. I have not noticed any difference in performance or mileage when I have switched between regular and premium.

Back