3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

Good thread and info sharing. Just picked up my 2018 Explorer Platinum, and was concerned about proper fueling. The dealer said no less than 87 octane and to never use fuel with more than 15% alcohol. The manual mentioned top performance with 91 or higher octane, so I have been curios. Even more so since the price of fuel continues to drop in my area, and 93 octane is less than I was paying for 87 just a few short months ago. Think I’ll stick with 87 for the near future and save my money! Might try 93 next month on a trip next month, just for comparison sake.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I haven't read the 2018 brochure but the ones for the previous 3.5L Ecoboost trims mentioned that the advertised HP and Torque were achieved using 93 octane.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everyone should keep an eye out in their area for gas stations that carry pure gas. Some only will have regular pure gas, and nothing of the higher blends. I just had a close station to me start carrying pure premium. I don't need any yet, but I will next year. What's very odd is that the source for this pure gas is not the same as the supplier for the alcohol gas. That means the prices very differently, change at different times etc. Each time I've looked at the one pump with pure 93 octane, it's been at least five cents less than the alcohol 93 octane premium. That's a bargain to me, it's been running about $3.05 per gallon, last I checked.

The higher the octane the higher the horsepower so yes they advertise it with 93 octane. Yes running 94 octane you will see a slight increase in performance. The tune will pick up timing when it has more octane up to a few degrees.

Gas is dirt cheap.
Here in Ottawa, premium at Costco is $1.05/L.
If you want to use regular fuel, why buy a high performance forced induction vehicle?

Well some people don't even have 91 octane in their area so I agree you should run premium it is better for the car. You will get better miles per gallon and more power but some people get limited to local resources.

Gas is dirt cheap.
Here in Ottawa, premium at Costco is $1.05/L.
If you want to use regular fuel, why buy a high performance forced induction vehicle?
Filled up with 91 at Petro-Canada this morning. Cost me $1.02/L

Peter

Filled up with 91 at Petro-Canada this morning. Cost me $1.02/L

Peter
That's amazing.
Petro in my neck of the woods generally has a $0.15/L spread between regular and premium.

Yes you are correct a little extra octane will pep up the tune a little more. And the higher the octane the better mileage you will get also. It will add timing if it shows more octane.

Yes you are correct a little extra octane will pep up the tune a little more. And the higher the octane the better mileage you will get also. It will add timing if it shows more octane.

Do you have any hard numbers to back this up? I've heard this quite a bit, but real world usage seems to say that gains are minimal and not particularly noticeable.

Back