3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

tired 87 and 93+, no difference in performance near sea level on an unloaded vehicle, not even a 1/10sec on average and no mph difference in the 1/4 mile when on stock tune, no pinging or knocking on 87 (not heatwave weather etc). If you can feel more power with high octane, I guess:dunno:. Maybe can notice something on a dyno where they use very high load on the drivetrain to test for power, but I would bet its not even 10hp if there is something there. It also isn't doing anything to clean the intake valves since its direct injection if they are bragging about additives.

I have had several aftermarket and factory turbo/supercharged vehicles so I am aware when high octane is needed, last thing I would want is a melted engine. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'll find that any slight improvement in gas mileage will not be offset by the extra cost of the gasoline.

Peter

You're absolutely correct! I'm so used to running 93 in the GMC and Diesel in the BMW; therefore, I'm used to premium prices. I got this car to drive into the city, when I have to because parking the truck in parking garages sucks and the diesel is more of my highway car.

tired 87 and 93+, no difference in performance near sea level on an unloaded vehicle, not even a 1/10sec on average and no mph difference in the 1/4 mile when on stock tune, no pinging or knocking on 87 (not heatwave weather etc). If you can feel more power with high octane, I guess:dunno:. Maybe can notice something on a dyno where they use very high load on the drivetrain to test for power, but I would bet its not even 10hp if there is something there. It also isn't doing anything to clean the intake valves since its direct injection if they are bragging about additives.

I have had several aftermarket and factory turbo/supercharged vehicles so I am aware when high octane is needed, last thing I would want is a melted engine. :thumbsup:

So, are you saying that you run 87 with no problems? I'm just wondering. I didn't buy this car to race around and try to beat people off the line, so I'm not ultra concerned about performance.

I ran 87 in my 2014 MKT and for the first 6 month that I had my Platinum. No issues whatsoever. Have been using 91 for the past 6+ months just to see if MPG improved. It looks like it has slightly but really not worth the extra cost. Haven't really been 'gunning' it either as I'm currently using the insurance companies monitoring device in the OBD port and that type of driving isn't my style anyway.

Peter

even with very hard use I had no issues with 87, it would probably change with it loaded to max capacity or towing. First sign of using too low of an octane rating is "pinging", it would be a slight rattling noise from the engine when you accelerate fairly hard .Then the octane rating should be stepped up or maybe the engine needs an emission cleaning, carbon on pistons increasing compression ratio or has a mechanical problem.

We have run our Platinum on only 87 octane since new and we are now over 60K miles.

We have run our Platinum on only 87 octane since new and we are now over 60K miles.

What sort of MPGs are you getting? Any mechanical issues with any engine components to date?

What sort of MPGs are you getting? Any mechanical issues with any engine components to date?
Phil, if you are asking because the member is using 87 octane, keep in mind that the recommended octane shown in the Manual is 87. Although for best overall performance it says to use 91 or higher. Many members are using 87 in their Ecoboost Explorers.

Peter

Phil, if you are asking because the member is using 87 octane, keep in mind that the recommended octane shown in the Manual is 87. Although for best overall performance it says to use 91 or higher. Many members are using 87 in their Ecoboost Explorers.

Peter

Cool! Exciting to finally have a car that doesn't need Premium fuel.

Phil, we are averaging around 20MPG city/hwy. As Peter mentioned, no mechanical issues at all. And it still runs like a scalded dog on 87 octane! :D

I think you'll find that any slight improvement in gas mileage will not be offset by the extra cost of the gasoline.

Peter

Ditto, nail on head. Premium gas used to be 20 cents more than regular, that has changed a lot in the last several years. Now most places charge I'd guess an average of 45 cents more for premium. That difference makes it tough to beat regular, to use premium and get better mileage. I'm going to rebuild a 302 soon, and I'll specify to make the camshaft to work best with regular gas. The cam designer will tell me what the best compression should be for regular fuel.

You can gain a little more fuel economy if you have a new program made for your vehicle. The stock PCM programming is never ideal for either economy, or power. They build the program with lots of compromise, run the engine extra rich to save engine parts long term. You could probably gain a usable amount even with a tune made to be ideal for regular gas. That's what I'd do if I had the eco-boost trucks. I'm aiming for the TT 3.0 Lincoln in a couple three years. I'll likely have that tuned for premium, to use sparingly for fun.

Ditto, nail on head. Premium gas used to be 20 cents more than regular, that has changed a lot in the last several years. Now most places charge I'd guess an average of 45 cents more for premium. That difference makes it tough to beat regular, to use premium and get better mileage. I'm going to rebuild a 302 soon, and I'll specify to make the camshaft to work best with regular gas. The cam designer will tell me what the best compression should be for regular fuel.

You can gain a little more fuel economy if you have a new program made for your vehicle. The stock PCM programming is never ideal for either economy, or power. They build the program with lots of compromise, run the engine extra rich to save engine parts long term. You could probably gain a usable amount even with a tune made to be ideal for regular gas. That's what I'd do if I had the eco-boost trucks. I'm aiming for the TT 3.0 Lincoln in a couple three years. I'll likely have that tuned for premium, to use sparingly for fun.
Judging by the cost difference between 87 and 91 on my last fill, the difference worked out to 62 cents a U.S, gallon.

Yeah, it's going up, and new taxes will just make it worse. Plus it's different for every location, city, state etc.

Brand New Explorer Sport - Fuel requirements?

I was thrilled to get my new Explorer Sport, a step down in size from my beloved Navigator but was heartbroken to read I need to put Premium in the tank. Will I destroy the engine if down the road I put in 87 octane in the tank down the road?

If it says use premium, USE premium. Why? because KNOCK! KNOCK can and will kill your engine, in many ways it can break your pistons and beat your rod bearings to death!
If you like to do any hard driving like WOT blasts or pull heaving loads like lots of people, or trailers use the highest octane you can find. Now, if by chance you did put 87 in then DO NOT drive it hard or do any full throttle pulls and pull heavy trailers.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on
regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in
high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. We do not recommend
these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer. See Towing (page 240).
Do not use any fuel other than those
recommended because they could lead to
engine damage that will not be covered by
the vehicle Warranty.

Straight from owners manual. I run 87 all the time in my Platinum. If I have to tow or anything a harder use of the engine I will put 93 in it for a tank or two before I need to use it if I can. I also run 87 in my F150 with the 3.5 Eco. I use it to tow a 25 foot enclosed car hauler ever once in awhile. I know when I am towing it so the tank before I need to pull it I always jump up the grade of fuel. There are fuel trim maps in the computer that knows the quality and octane of the fuel and will adjust for it.

I run premium whenever possible. Since it states Premium is recommended but not required ... for the couple dollars more per week I want to protect my investment and performance. Also same reason I run full synthetic oil. It’s a few dollars more, and I look at the risk to not be worth it.

I was thrilled to get my new Explorer Sport, a step down in size from my beloved Navigator but was heartbroken to read I need to put Premium in the tank. Will I destroy the engine if down the road I put in 87 octane in the tank down the road?
Welcome to the Forum Denise.:wave:
As you Owner's Manual states, the engine in your Sport is designed to run on regular 87 octane. I ram my 2014 MKT will the same engine on regular and it ran fine If you want to get optimum performance then premium gas will give you that but at a cost. I started with 87 octane in my Platinum and just to see what kind of difference 91 would make I have been using it lately. There was a slight increase in mileage but it is definitely not offset by the extra cost which is definitely more than a few dollars pre tank. See my post #91 above. Many members run their Ecoboost on 87 octane.
Also run the recommended regular premium oil that is recommended for the Canadian Explorer.

Peter

The EB engines have an algorithm that dynamically tunes the control parameters to optimize engine performance to the octane of the fuel in the tank. Based on the documentation I've read the engine can adapt to a new fuel within as few as a couple of wide-open-throttle accelerations, but the fine tuning can actually take a couple of tanks which is why it is recommended to pick an octane and stick with it. But yeah, the EB engines can safely operate with 87 octane fuel or higher.

Good thread and info sharing. Just picked up my 2018 Explorer Platinum, and was concerned about proper fueling. The dealer said no less than 87 octane and to never use fuel with more than 15% alcohol. The manual mentioned top performance with 91 or higher octane, so I have been curios. Even more so since the price of fuel continues to drop in my area, and 93 octane is less than I was paying for 87 just a few short months ago. Think I’ll stick with 87 for the near future and save my money! Might try 93 next month on a trip next month, just for comparison sake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thread and info sharing. Just picked up my 2018 Explorer Platinum, and was concerned about proper fueling. The dealer said no less than 87 octane and to never use fuel with more than 15% alcohol. The manual mentioned top performance with 91 or higher octane, so I have been curios. Even more so since the price of fuel continues to drop in my area, and 93 octane is less than I was paying for 87 just a few short months ago. Think I’ll stick with 87 for the near future and save my money! Might try 93 next month on a trip next month, just for comparison sake.

It makes a more significant difference for those of us that have spent the money and purchased aftermarket tunes that require specific octane. Its a noticeable difference going from the stock tune and running 91 Octane to a Livernois tune and running 91 octane. The 94 octane from Chevron is even more noticeable.

Back