• Register Today It's free!

3.55 or 3.73?

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
So a trip to the tire shop for a hole patch turned into a new set of tires :rolleyes:
Going with the BFGoodrich K02s in 31x10.50r15 size
I plan on either a 2 inch lift, or if they fit the front without rubbing ill just do an AAL in the back to give a little rake for a more aggressive look.
My question to you all: I have some 3.55 axles from an expy I stripped... should I just use those, or sell them and go 3.73? Would I be satisfied with the 3.55?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your 94 a auto or stick? What do you use the truck for?
What gears does your truck have now?
3.73 would be better with 31" tires

Is your 94 a auto or stick? What do you use the truck for?
What gears does your truck have now?
3.73 would be better with 31" tires
It's a stick, it's a daily driver with occasional off road use. Towing a john boat sometimes, estimated weight between boat and gear is ~1000 lbs
Infrequently tows heavier loads, but not often.
Going to be moving sometime soon, itll see quite a bit of weight behind it then

You'll be OK with the 3.55s... although you'd be happier with 3.73s and even happier with 4.10s.

I have 30x9.50's on mine with 4.10s... had 3.73's before and it was a turd but I am sure my rig weighs around 1000lbs more than it did from the factory with the bumpers, skid plates, stuff on the roof and water tank. 4.10s really woke it up. I also did the lower gears mod on the transmission. Very pleased with its performance now.

So I did a little online calculators
3.55 with 31s has only slightly higher rpms than 3.23 with 235s
Essentially it will make the 31s feel the same power-wise as stock tires.
If i decide to go 3.73 one day then perhaps
If anyone has a set of 3.73s they could go without though...

I am pretty sure I have sets of used 3.73s for both of your axles.... I will check, if I do, they're yours very cheap

I am pretty sure I have sets of used 3.73s for both of your axles.... I will check, if I do, they're yours very cheap
Thats great, I'm definitely interested in buying. Just let me know :D

Back