3.55's and towing | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3.55's and towing

maroon93limited

Reaction score
City, State
Taber, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
So, after watching a tv show highlighting the Slocan Valley in B.C. I've decided that it's where we'll be spending our holidays next summer. The one thing making me hesitant is towing over the Kootenay Pass. I have a line on a 4.10 ring and pinion for the rear, but not for the front, or I can get a set of 3.55's front and rear for a song and a dance. Being that I lost my owners manual, I'm not too sure of the max towing capacity with the 3.55's.
The trailer is light, maybe 1000lbs, 1200 packed with gear, and being a Limited it's got the aux. tranny cooler and will be getting a rad flush come summer. Would the 3.55's be "good enough" or should I look for a set of 3.73's? I still can't believe that something with a towing package would come with crap 3.08's.

And for those of you looking for a nice quiet vacation, check out the Slocan Valley. Part of the program I was watching was filmed on the shore of Slocan lake, which is quite large, and there was not one boat on the dang thing. The time of year it was filmed there would have been 300 boats on any given lake in the Okanagan. The host of the show was just dumbfounded at the lack of people in what he called the most beautiful part of B.C.

<

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Won't be a problem, especially in the cooler months, but consider a tranny temp gauge as it's a good investment. May not want to use overdrive just to be on the safe side.

I have 3.27s and have towed many times without incident with the stock cooler (I do have a gauge though). It's the starting and stopping that gets you. Low speeds in hot weather.

<

Happy Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
As long as you are close to stock on tires I agree that you will be fine. If the trans starts kicking down out of OD and back then go ahead and drop a gear. And even another gear drop if needed.

<