• Register Today It's free!

3.5na to 3.5 turbo?

Smitty1420

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 F250 Powerstroke
so I have been wondering if anybody has heard of taking a 3.5 N/A motor and either adding an aftermarket turbo or getting somthing close to the stock eco boost setup. I know there would be a difference in the electrical. im also not sure how it would hold, or if the internals are completely different the 3.5 na and the 3.5 ecoboost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the cost, you're probably just better off selling your base V6 and buying a used Sport. The Ecoboost V6 isn't just a couple of turbochargers in the intake / exhaust circuit. There's high pressure direct injection pumps, different timing, and upgraded cooling. Add it all up, and I doubt you would save any money over swapping to a sport. You'd also not be dealing with a warrantyless franken-engine.

There are far too many differences in those engines to make it something anyone should try to do. As mentioned, Direct injection, cooling, internals, and a TON of other things are different. The bore and stroke is likely different, pistons, block may be different. Not to mention all the electrical differences, PCM, harness, controls. AWD system..

Just upgrade to the Sport. Better handling, awd, turdbros and a smile :)

Thanks guys that's what I was looking for.

I'm curious if anyone knows if the headers from a v6 mustang turbo kit would fit a 3.5 n/a

Welcome to the Forum Steven. :wave:

Peter

I'm curious if anyone knows if the headers from a v6 mustang turbo kit would fit a 3.5 n/a
I doubt that they will due to the Mustangs having a longitudinally mounted engines and the engines in the 5th gen Explorers are transverse mounted.

Back