3.7L Cold Air Intake? (2013 3.7L NA Base model PIU) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.7L Cold Air Intake? (2013 3.7L NA Base model PIU)

Nibroc99

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 PIU Base
The title basically sums it up. I'm looking for a cold air intake upgrade for the 3.7L engine, but I can only find things for the 3.5, which has the throttle body in a different spot from what I understand. Anybody got some ideas or experience in doing this? The only search results that I found were in the explorer photo thread, which was just people asking the same question but the user no longer existed on the site or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the engine code from the VIN number, 6th digit I think.

Use the engine code from the VIN number, 6th digit I think.
What would I use that for? Sorry, just not sure what you're suggesting I do, haha. Thanks!

The title basically sums it up. I'm looking for a cold air intake upgrade for the 3.7L engine, but I can only find things for the 3.5, which has the throttle body in a different spot from what I understand. Anybody got some ideas or experience in doing this? The only search results that I found were in the explorer photo thread, which was just people asking the same question but the user no longer existed on the site or something.
According to several members in this forum, a CAI is a waste of money unless you plan to add a 'tune'.

Peter

According to several members in this forum, a CAI is a waste of money unless you plan to add a 'tune'.

Peter

I'll be honest... I'm doing it more for the sound difference and the look/aesthetic inside the engine bay than any performance gains. :p Down the road, I'll be replacing the stock mufflers with Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flows as well. Again, not for added performance, but for the sound difference.

So you know you will get the right part.

What do I do with the engine code though? That's what I'm confused about, sorry. Wouldn't searching "Ford 3.7L V6" get me the same results (which I've tried over and over again, along with the full engine name (3.7 V6 Duratec/Ti-VCT ), adding Police Interceptor Utility to the search, etc.)?

What do I do with the engine code though? That's what I'm confused about, sorry. Wouldn't searching "Ford 3.7L V6" get me the same results (which I've tried over and over again, along with the full engine name (3.7 V6 Duratec/Ti-VCT ), adding Police Interceptor Utility to the search, etc.)?
It improves your odds of finding the right part.

1633363385877.png

I struggled to find an intake that would work and fit properly but for anyone looking buy the afe power one for the 3.5 explorer. I got one about 6 months ago and it works perfectly with ZERO mods to make it work. The kit includes everything you need. (Hoses, clamps, even a block off plate for maf sensor). 20 mins to install and it sounds excellent. Heres a link below for anyone looking for an intake.

aFe Power Magnum Force 51-12842 Performance Cold Air Intake System (Dry, 3-Layer Filter)

Quote Reply
Report •••

20210408_131844_HDR.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:

Peter

Just curious, has the CAI made any noticeable performance improvement? Might try it if it does.

Just curious, has the CAI made any noticeable performance improvement? Might try it if it does.
I wouldn't say its made a giant difference, maybe slightly more low end and slightly better throttle response. Mostly it just sounds great, the 3.7 is very throaty when you open up that airway a little. Its not a super loud intake whistle like some other but it absolutely gives it some growl. I dont regret it one bit. If your going to do it I highly suggest the kit I have.

Most seem to agree that a CAI without a tune is a waste of time and $$.

Peter

Peter

Peter
Yeah most ppl love to comment on things they dont know much about. You DO NOT need a tune for an intake. The engine management in the vehicle is plenty able to calculating fuel/air ratios on the scales of just an intake. Getting a tune for just an intake is the real waste of time and money. Even with a tune what would you gain 3-5whp if your lucky? Sounds like a great way to burn $500 for a tune and another $400+ on a tuner like an SCT that a performance shop would need to install the new maps. All that assuming anyone made a flash tuner for the PIU which they dont. If I'm wrong id love someone to show me the data and where I can buy a flashable tuner for the PUI please.

Peter

Screenshot_20211010-161448.png
i
Peter, its pretty simple with just a google search to see the idea of tuning for just a CIA is pretty well pointless. If you know any of these "Most people" I do have some snake oil id love to sell them.

They can be found in several threads on CAI, Rob. Probably the CAI Discussion thread is a place to start. I've never used one or needed one so I'm just going by what I've read. Also, I don't believe that anyone said that you needed a CAI system in order to add a tune. Just that a CAI without one is pointless.

Peter

They can be found in several threads on CAI, Rob. Probably the CAI Discussion thread is a place to start. I've never used one or needed one so I'm just going by what I've read. Also, I don't believe that anyone said that you needed a CAI system in order to add a tune. Just that a CAI without one is pointless.

Peter
Yeah agreed I think were actually on the same page? A cia with a tune id basically pointless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 343030

I struggled to find an intake that would work and fit properly but for anyone looking buy the afe power one for the 3.5 explorer. I got one about 6 months ago and it works perfectly with ZERO mods to make it work. The kit includes everything you need. (Hoses, clamps, even a block off plate for maf sensor). 20 mins to install and it sounds excellent. Heres a link below for anyone looking for an intake.

aFe Power Magnum Force 51-12842 Performance Cold Air Intake System (Dry, 3-Layer Filter)

Quote Reply
Report •••

View attachment 343022
Thank you for the tip! Just bought one for my interceptor

Back