3-Row All Aluminum Radiator

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Howdy!

I recently purchased a 3-row all aluminum radiator off of eBay.

While I can't be absolutely positive, it looks to be identical to a Champion CC2173.

It's got the transmission cooler on it, but he fittings that are welded into this radiator are too short to accept the stock line fittings - they will not engage the threads on the line fittings.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue? Is there any kind of adapters I can get to make use of this, or am I going to need to return this to the seller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I put my racing radiator in I made my own brackets and mounts.

It's about 2" - 2.5" thick.

As far as being NPT on the radiator, I don't know - I'll try to snag a couple pictures tonight.

I suppose there might be brass flare-to-NPT adapters, but I'm not sure I could trust those not to leak.

They don't fit - already tried.

The brass fitting on the factory radiator is too big for the new aluminum radiator.

Just spent a bunch of time down at NAPA, going over all of the various Weatherhead fittings and catalog.

What I need is a flare-to-flare adapter, and it doesn't appear that what I'm looking for exists.

fittings.png

The stock radiator is expecting a flare fitting coming in. That fitting is #1 above.

The new radiator is expecting a flare fitting coming in, but #1 doesn't work, it needs a #2.

Short of cutting and re-flaring my existing lines with the new fitting, what I need is an adapter that I've drawn as #3, and that's what I can't seem to find.

I suppose I could get a small hose assembly custom made, but at this point, I'm just going to return the radiator and buy a standard one. :(

Well, after a bunch of digging, I gave up trying to find "adapter" fittings.

I bought a tubing cutter, a flaring kit, and some Weatherhead 105X6 fittings, and cut/reflared the lines.

New aluminum radiator is in, everything is working fantastically.

It's ridiculous that a radiator sold for the Explorer doesn't fit the stock cooler lines, but it's equally ridiculous that Ford is using some idiotic fitting that doesn't seem that common at all.

I've been all over the Weatherhead catalogs, and I can't find a trace of this damned thing.

Oh well.

If you're looking at doing this swap, the cut/flare is incredibly easy, just make sure you cut off as little as possible - there's not a ton of room to work with, and if you screw up the first cut/flare, you may not have enough room left to work with on the line.

Thread is worthless without pics.

Back