3 (Three) Dealer Oil Changes in 2 days (WOW) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 (Three) Dealer Oil Changes in 2 days (WOW)

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I went to Ford Dealer Quicklane service with my 2016 Ford Explorer 3.5l Ecoboost (Largest Ford dealer in the lakes region of NH) and requested 5w-30 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic oil and Filter.
Dealer installed 6 quarts Oil-5W30 - Mopar (68101997AA) according to my paperwork.
I asked for the Ford factory oil 5 w-30 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic.
(another dealer oil change used 5w-20 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic oil) i did not want the same error again.
I called service manager and he said come back and we will make it right.
I returned the next day they drained and refilled the engine with Mopar (68101997AA) (according to my paperwork.) 2nd time.
Ford Service dept only has Motorcraft Semi-synthetic in quart bottles. No Bulk Ford Motorcraft oil. Tech is required to parts counter and request 6 quart bottles of 5w-30 Motorcraft oil.
the 3rd time the Ford Dealer drained and refilled with Motorcraft Semi-synthetic 5w-30 (6 quart bottles).
They did not drain or replace Oil Filter.
Now engine is overfilled by 1/2 quart. (I checked oil level after arriving home.)
Mopar oil is standard oil for all oil changes at this Quicklane Ford dealer.
4 hours for an oil change. WOW.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That overfill should be a concern. From the Manual;

Note: Do not add oil further than the MAX
mark. Oil levels above the MAX mark may
cause engine damage.

My dealership also gets the oil from the parts department. No bulk. Very strange that a Ford dealership's usual oil is Mopar.

Peter

FWIW - the Mopar-branded oil is actually Pennzoil conventional 5W30, a high-quality oil. It does meet the Ford specification for that engine, but with the turbos I can understand wanting the semi or full synthetic.

More importantly, it took 3 tries for the service department to fulfill your request. Ridiculous!!!

My dealership uses the recommended regular Super Premium oil in the Ecoboosts unless you request a semi or full synthetic.
Haven't figured out why the U.S. and Canadian Explorers have different recommended oils.

Peter

The ford dealer I worked at for 6 years used bulk oil for changes and we were told it was Motorcraft oil. Thing is the same truck delivers oil to Hyundai dealer next door. I was always leary about it and never would use it in my rides. The dealer seemed to always be getting over on the "quiet" non-complaining customers. Now if you were considered a "survey customer" we would try to wipe your ass. Now if you complained before you left your email would be deleted by the service advisor and no survey would be sent to you. All of this is why I left the dealer and started my own business.....

And...that is why I now went back to performing my own oil changes.

And...that is why I now went back to performing my own oil changes.

I'm sure most know this but you can buy Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft 5w20 oil at wal-mart. Some stores carry 5w30 Motorcraft oil but not all.

To keep your warranty valid you must save the receipt and write down the milage / date on the receipt. That way you have all the proof you need for any warranty issue. I have seen people denied warranty work like failing turbos for not documenting their oil changes.

I'd just be more concerned on the overfill (and how it took them 3 times).

I'm sure most know this but you can buy Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft 5w20 oil at wal-mart. Some stores carry 5w30 Motorcraft oil but not all.

To keep your warranty valid you must save the receipt and write down the milage / date on the receipt. That way you have all the proof you need for any warranty issue. I have seen people denied warranty work like failing turbos for not documenting their oil changes.

I purchase any and all different brands of synthetic that are on sale.
I have no loyalty to any particular brand and scan all of my receipts.

The ford dealer I worked at for 6 years used bulk oil for changes and we were told it was Motorcraft oil. Thing is the same truck delivers oil to Hyundai dealer next door. I was always leary about it and never would use it in my rides. The dealer seemed to always be getting over on the "quiet" non-complaining customers. Now if you were considered a "survey customer" we would try to wipe your ass. Now if you complained before you left your email would be deleted by the service advisor and no survey would be sent to you. All of this is why I left the dealer and started my own business.....
I liked this, but only because we don't have a 'holy hell' quick choice. As someone who has been put in charge of customer relations (along with doing my other job duties) in a previous job my owner would have had a high speed come apart had I simply 'deleted' customer complaints/concerns.

I liked this, but only because we don't have a 'holy hell' quick choice. As someone who has been put in charge of customer relations (along with doing my other job duties) in a previous job my owner would have had a high speed come apart had I simply 'deleted' customer complaints/concerns.

Yeah that boiled my blood when I overheard the convo and watched it happen. Another mechanic didn't correctly diagnos an issue and it still had the same issue (water leak). Customer came back a 2nd time, had a fit and we had it sent to a water leak specialty place to have it correctly fixed.

The part that makes me even more mad is the water leak had a tsb on it and he should have checked(the vin is already in the computer, simple click over and it would have been listed). It would have been fixed right the first time instead of just cleaning the drains (05-08 mustang cowl clips were the culprit). Oh and with this practice they have managed to become the best survey rated dealer in the area.(We have 4 Ford dealers within 25 miles).

I purchase any and all different brands of synthetic that are on sale.
I have no loyalty to any particular brand and scan all of my receipts.

I hear you on synthetic oil deals but if you check out the thread on synthetic blend Motorcraft oil on the bobistheoilguy website it might change your mind. It has killer reviews and people are using it in everything but ford's it seems.

I hear you on synthetic oil deals but if you check out the thread on synthetic blend Motorcraft oil on the bobistheoilguy website it might change your mind. It has killer reviews and people are using it in everything but ford's it seems.
I would love to continue using the motorcraft oil, but it's expensive.
Us folks here up North, pay much more than you fine folks in the US for motor oil.
There's dedicated buyers, who would stock up on motor oil when they had down south.

Just remember that Ford or Motorcraft does not have a manufacturing plant that makes their oil. They contract it out to someone else that will make it to their specifications. At one time it was Conoco, a poster above says that it is now Penzoil, next week who knows?

I just purchase a oil that meets their specifications on the label and for the time being I run Valvoline full synthetic. It meets all of Fords specifications and then some.

Just remember that Ford or Motorcraft does not have a manufacturing plant that makes their oil. They contract it out to someone else that will make it to their specifications. At one time it was Conoco, a poster above says that it is now Penzoil, next week who knows?

I just purchase a oil that meets their specifications on the label and for the time being I run Valvoline full synthetic. It meets all of Fords specifications and then some.

I went to Ford Dealer Quicklane service with my 2016 Ford Explorer 3.5l Ecoboost (Largest Ford dealer in the lakes region of NH) and requested 5w-30 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic oil and Filter.
Dealer installed 6 quarts Oil-5W30 - Mopar (68101997AA) according to my paperwork.
(another dealer oil change used 5w-20 Motorcraft Semi-synthetic oil) i did not want the same error again.
I returned the next day they drained and refilled the engine with Mopar (68101997AA) (according to my paperwork.) 2nd time.
Ford Service dept only has Motorcraft Semi-synthetic in quart bottles. No Bulk Ford Motorcraft oil. Tech is required to parts counter and request 6 quart bottles of 5w-30 Motorcraft oil.
the 3rd time the Ford Dealer drained and refilled with Motorcraft Semi-synthetic 5w-30 (6 quart bottles).
Now engine is overfilled by 1/2 quart. (I checked oil level after arriving home.)
FYI Wally now has the S/T full syn. ext.perf 20K MI.for <$18 not that I would run it that long.Am consdr. trying next oil chng. Have used the F/Syn. H/M in my 97 4.0 OHV for about 85K and you cant beat it for the $.I usually run 5-30 in W &10-30 in S.

This is why I do my own oil changes. The Explorer is one of the easiest vehicles I've owned to get to everything, and I know it's been done correctly with the type of oil and filter that I want.

I've also been a Mobil1 user for about the past 25 years, never had an engine problem in any car that I used it in. I am a firm believer in synthetic motor oils.

Back