96 XLT 5.0 AWD
My 96 302 AWD just passed 300,000 miles. Repairs have been:
1 fuel pump
1 alternator
1 radiator
1 front wheel bearing
1 idler pulley
1 oxygen sensor

Everything else has been consumables, such as tires, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, brake pads & rotors, etc.
No engine or driveline repairs have been needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bought a 97 302 AWD with 100k (municipality) for $870!
Thrilled to hear your experience.
I have lots of surface rust underneath but everything feels good.
Hope I can write a similar email in the future.

My '97 5.0L is at 297K and some change. It's now my "work truck" so just used locally a few days a week, but expect 300K sometime early-mid next year. Biggest repair has been to replace the timing cover gasket about 20K ago; otherwise core engine/transmission assemblies untouched for other than maintenance items. Purchased it in '98 with 29K on it; it has been an outstanding vehicle.

Mine had 154K when it was wrecked, it's almost new lol, getting close (I hope, if I can keep my SOHC fixed) to getting something to make that V8 go to work.

My son's 1st '97 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD had 196,000 miles on it when we bought it. He only put about 1200 more miles on before someone pulled out in front of him and totaled it. Zero mechanical problems. Current one is another '97 Mounty 5.0, but 2WD, with 132,000 miles. Just getting broken in!

My 96 302 AWD just passed 300,000 miles. Repairs have been:
1 fuel pump
1 alternator
1 radiator
1 front wheel bearing
1 idler pulley
1 oxygen sensor

Everything else has been consumables, such as tires, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, brake pads & rotors, etc.
No engine or driveline repairs have been needed.
Update.
Since then, I'm over 355K miles and have replaced the ball joints and outer tie rod ends. They weren't really bad, but there was discernible play in them. Also replaced the shocks, which had over 200K on them, which was way too long! One of the rear axle seals had a leak, so I replaced that. Still going strong!
Oh yeah, I hit a big deer, which trashed the grille and left headlight assembly and put a big dent in the left front fender. Found all the parts in salvage yards. Fixed the front end quick, still working on the new used fender, but she's totally operational.

Can’t believe you haven’t replaced the front driveshaft.

Update.
Since then, I'm over 355K miles and have replaced the ball joints and outer tie rod ends. They weren't really bad, but there was discernible play in them. Also replaced the shocks, which had over 200K on them, which was way too long! One of the rear axle seals had a leak, so I replaced that. Still going strong!
Oh yeah, I hit a big deer, which trashed the grille and left headlight assembly and put a big dent in the left front fender. Found all the parts in salvage yards. Fixed the front end quick, still working on the new used fender, but she's totally operational.
dang!!! congrats! im pushing 320-330k right now (odo occasioanlly stops) those v8s are tough, sometimes wish my sohc was a v8, but its alright ;) 320-330 out of an original sohc (with original timing components up to 2 years ago) and original 5r55e with just fluid changes is nothing to scoff at!

Can’t believe you haven’t replaced the front driveshaft.
Something I need to be on the lookout for on that? No trouble with that so far.

@Mbrooks420. Have not replaced front drive shaft at 580k. Maybe just lucky.

It seems like the OEM parts last a long time, then the aftermarket replacements become regular maintenance issues.

Take care and drive safe.

Love the 302 trucks half ton engine three quarter ton transmission in our beloved 4 door suv! Thank you ford!!

Something I need to be on the lookout for on that? No trouble with that so far.
It’s one of the more common failure points on the AWDs. The water pump being another. At 300k I’d be on the lookout for everything.

Back