• Register Today It's free!

302 carb swap

Dakotals

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer eddie bauer
Ok so im new on here but not new to owning explorers i love them just got to have them. I came across a free 2000 V6 explorer in damn near mint condition just needs a motor well just so happens i have a 1990 302 with a ok rotating assembly and a aggresive cam in it. The 302 is carbed. What im trying to figure out here is what transmission to use im told the 4r70w. Ok can easily get one of them out the junkyard so i went to look at a few that were supposed to 4r70w, out of 4x4,s well every one was different! Ive tried searching the web all i can find is reasons not to do it. I dont care why i should not do it i want to know which vehicle will for will have the trans i need? I know ill need the trans,harness,and pcm what else? Also once i get going ill post pictures,issues, and all that fun stuff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's going to be all custom so pick whatever trans you want that will bolt to the 302. Nothing is going to bolt in to the truck

Ive read one thread on here a guy dropped a carbed 302 out a 90's mustang into his V8 explorer his thread thread was a direct bolt in due to him having the V8 trans i cant find it anymore this was a thread i had saved in my old phone i dont mind the custom fab work i can do that and i can do motor builds i just do not know anything about transmissions ive avoided them my whole life something i am sorry i did now

The problem with the explorer transmission ( 4r70w used behind all 5.0 explorer motors ) is your V6 won’t have the proper harnesses or computers. You could most likely use an older 5.0 AOD and skip the electronics.

Oops I read that as 2006.

You're going to need all the electronics and trans from a 00/01 v8 or a stand alone trans controller.

Why carb?

Well i already have a nicely built 302 with a carb, its basicly ready to go just waiting for new aftermarket brackets. I found a 2000 V8 was in a rollover now its getting parted out. So if i go get the transmission i assume ill need the transfer case,the harnes, and computers?

Yesterday i got the complete drivetrain including wire harness,pcm,and gem module out of a V8 along with a few other things. Last night i ordered a high rise intake, distributor kit, bolt kit, bracket kit, V8 motor mounts, flywheel, and gasket set. I also picked up a fresh rebuilt holley 600. I still have a few things to order. I will start my tear down this week posting pictures along the way.

Ok looks like this weekend ill start my tear down. Im still waiting on parts and still need to order a few more so far ive gotten my bolt kit and distributor set up. I also have my gasket set,water pump,plugs, and fluids.
This weekend ill tear out old trans and motor prep the bay also going to paint the motor and start prep on it. Ill be posting photos and whatnots. O i also met a guy who did the same swap he has a tps sensor for the carb and he is going to help me with wiring

This is the distributor set up i bought yes i know not the greatest but it will get me up and running. Im also using a mechanical fiel pump just for a few weeks once i know everything is stable ill start upgrading

20180124_181857.jpg

It looks so Shiny :) Next weekend I will be doing Maint on my Ex. Plugs Wires Oil and trans oil. Looking forward to it. Can wait to get it done then see how she runs after all that.

The Explorer will require the Explorer 302 exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, the 302 accessory brackets, and the balancer too. The earlier model(pre-96) parts will not fit in the Explorer engine bay.

To use the 4R trans, you'd do better to keep it EFI, more power and smoother etc. To skip the engine control, costs money to alter the computer programming to ignore the missing engine functions. You can do the carb, but it's not as good as the EFI, and you just bought 99% of the parts needed. That donor truck had basically everything needed to swap it all over, assuming it was a 99-01 302 Explorer.

The AOD will work also, but it requires the special TV cable attachment at the carb(throttle arm). The 4R trans is far stronger, and stock 98-01 models bolt right in(with the Explorer PCM etc).

Yea EFI would have been straight forward not any fun in that. I like a challenge,i like to pushed to think outside the box, i already had a built 302 block i really like carbed and i love the explorer so why not lol its a challenge it will push me to think and learn. Plus i mean come on a nicely built 302 carbed just looks so dang pretty!!!! I got my intake today. Not the best on the market i will stress it throughout my build my plan is to get it running let it run a couple weeks and settle in then ill start upgrading.

Too bad that pretty 302 will have ugly exhaust manifolds.

Yes it will the entire exhaust will be ugly for awhile. Ill have a friend make me something up for it.

I also got my intake today i tried to post a picture but i have no idea where it went. The intake isnt the best but it will get me going for awhile here it is

20180125_182048.jpg

I look forward to seeing this one completed. I also look forward to seeing the progress.

Well i got the ol explorer into the shop tonight so bright and early ill get started on pulling out the trans, transfer case, motor, and the a/c.
After that ill get the engine bay ready im thinking im going to remove the gas tank also and just run all new brake lines.
Im still waiting on parts, i should have everything by next weekend. Im also going to get my motor on the stand and paint it get it all ready for parts....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back