302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for me to live upto my name ( Sorta, anyway ) My money definately "GoesFast" out of my wallet.

My conversion project is now underway. I have actually spent money.

I have a local Speed Shop doing the work and I am being active in teh process.

The goal. A 302 F.I. motor and an AOD automatic tranny.
The motor will give me about 275 HP at the crank. Should have plenty of torque. The AOD has a 2.48 first gear and a a 33% overdrive in forth. With 5.13 gears ( Yep ) and 35" tires I'll be turning 2300 RPM at 70 mph. 2100 RPM if I have 4.56 gears. The tranny is fully locked in 3rd & 4th gear so no slippage and little heat.

Price.. So Far

Motor & Shipping $1600
306 CI, freshly built plus a few extras thrown in for the conversion. Double hump Oil Pan,All Accessories mounts,Hi Flow water pump, etc.

Tranny $1300
Rebuilt No Core charge Over the counter. Included a Torque Converter and the linkage to fit a late Model V8 explorer for shifting.

Advanced Adapters $575
I got the 50-8404 9" adapter. This includes the new outut shaft so the T-fer case will fit. Should put the Transfer Case about 1" maybe 1/12" longer than stock. My drive shaft was very close to being to short after the 5.5" lift so I may not need a new back shaft. The front one may be in trouble....

Pictures will be shown we the action starts. It will be about 5 to 6 weeks before the Motor & tranny are finished.

Anyone have a cheap $300 car for sale? I'm tired of walking....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hey, where did you find ceramic coated shorties for only $170?? All the ones that I have seen were around $400 for V8 swap headers. Can't wait till you get it done and get the writeup up (?) so I can see what I might get myself into... hopefully... sounds like your going to have one hell of a truck.

Now all you need is a solid axle to become the Explorer god... nah, Rick's big-orange pumpkin would still win, just for looks. ;-)

Headers & God.....

Headers I order from a local chop here in Dallas. Ceramic coated shorties $169 or so depending on which brand you wanted. Mine are MAC ( I think ) not supposed to change colors once they heat up either.

David - 972 864-1667 Blue Oval Racing

Rick will always be God, I just hope to become a Prophet.

( Of course rumor has it that he's actually worried about scratching his paint now ;) )

This project is really exciting. I can't wait to fire it up!

Larry, e-mail me with a time when we can hook-up and get the V6 & stuff to you.

Thanks

That's not a rumor Rob, it's a fact :D Trouble is I already have more scratches and nicks than I care to count. Oh well...That's the way it goes :D

Rick,
That is the nice thing about clear coats, they are easy to blend in once you get a scratch or two or three. lol

lOCATING PARTS FOR MY V8 SWAP

Hey
GoFast!
I'm new to this board but I've been following your progress. I'm starting to get a more serious about "THE SWAP" I've been reading everythig I can get my eyes on. Finally found some money to do the deed. I found another site that with some petty usefull info http://www.rangerpowersports.com/index2.shtml
You may already know of it. My explorer has almost 150k miles with very little trouble. 5sp trans is growlin big time. 4.0 pulls my boat ok but from what I've read I'll have plenty of power and better millage. I've located a 5.0l w/AOD computer cables etc. I have a local salvage yard with a good reputaion and the whole package is only $1200.00. No major mods to the engine at this point Gol is just to get it in and running. I've been bouncing back and forth from advanced adapters kit and the one offered from James Duff. Then I found http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/
They tell me that the motor mounts they use are built by them and not a stock mount converted. They also claim that because of this the motor is sitting lower and futher back that the mounts from advanced adapters. May be you can enlighten me more while I'm still in the planning and buying stages. Liked what i heard about the shorty headers you bought for less than $200.00. All the adapter places want big bucks for the ones they sell. I've seen the headers from advanced up close and I don't see $350.00
Keep the updates coming. Any pictures?

Pictures....worth a 1000 words...

Good deal on the motor and trans. That's the route I was heading here in Dallas. However, I had no relationships with any of the salvage yards here. Didn't know who to trust. They were wanting $2500 for high milage motors and questionable tranny's. I spent $1600 for a rebuilt motor ( Make sure you get the accesorie brackets ), The tranny needs some thought. Advance Adapters has the "Kit" for the AOD. I used the 9" adapter and it should keep the tranny mount in the stock location. Which meens the transfer case is in the same location and the driveshafts should work fine the way they are.

Keep in mind the Advance Adapter requires a different output shaft and a 9" case extension. The output shaft kit has the correct number of splines to connect to your existing Transfer case. These means you will need to rebuild the AOD to use this kit. I got a complete heavy duty rebuild AOD from http://www.phoenixtrans.com/ for $1250 and they used the Advance Adapter kit ( $550 ) I had dropped shipped to them to do the rebuild. I did not have a core either.

The motor Mounts become real important because it affects where the tranny and T/Case will sit. I'm going to use either V8 mounts from a late model explore or custom fab them so that the Tranny sits in the factory location. AA,Duff & Kaufman all mount the motor in different spots.

Another thing, With my 3" body lift I can use a factory mustang radiator with a top fill set-up and not the custom stuff they have. My Radiator will be top of the line 4 core Aluminum for around $300 or so.

The important thing is top shop around a lot, be very patient and hopefully get everything togather ahead of time instead of learning as you go like I'm doing.

Just think, Someday will have a 5.0 Forum or Explorer Conversion Forum to help plan things like this.

Oh Yaa, I'll work on pictures this weekend to start showing progress when we actually start putting the motor in the truck.

Gofast, check this out! Oknut from this board has a 302 in his Explorer with a 4sp tranny out of a Ford truck with a beefy t-case from a Ford truck too. Oh yea, he runs 44's!!!

Check out his setup here: http://www.tenforward.com/homepage/spaceport/4x4/Joe/Joe.htm

I just read his post under the tire and wheel forum about 44" Boggers.

Wow!

What a Monster! I was thinking I was gonna be a big dog with 38's someday....

I wish he had put more details of the actaul motor swap in there. I would also like to have a shop like he had in some of those pictures.

That Explorer is sweet! I just wonder what would happen if he hit a bump hard enough to smack one of his boggers into the body! He needs to become friends with the sawzall! LOL

He's only just begun. The body will be modified for clearance and flares are going to be added to cover the tires that stick out 15" on each side!!!

He plans on coming to Moab with us even though I tried to convince him that Truckhaven would be better suited to his rig.

Rick,
I agree with you.
With having the spring in the front end I think it will ride ruff. If he can get it done by Moab it will be fun to see it.
When we built our van we found out it was built for show, not four wheeling. I am still glad I did it though. How many people have a 4x4 Aerostar?

Hey so Oknut finally got that thing running? Cool!

I actually bought my superlift kit from Oknut since he lives about 1 hour away from me, Originally he was only going to run 38s, I didn't know he had finally decided on 44s.

We've been talking about mudding together for a while now(though his truck is slightly more capable than mine). I'll E-mail him and see about getting together, if I do I'll snap some more detailed digital pictures of his setup, since he is the one that inspired me to do a leaf spring solid axle swap in the first place.

Oh, and on a side note, Oknut actually made money from his swap because he bought a donor vehicle for $500, kept the axles and sold it off piece by piece. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what paid for part of his 44s

Mat

Hey there,

I see that you guys are talking about me.. LOL

haven't heard from you in a while, Matt. What have you done to your explorer lately, are you still gonna do the straight axle swap ?

Gofast, you said you wanted some more detail, just ask and I will tell.

take care guys

OKnut Questions

I hope you make it to MOAB.

When you put the 302 into the explorer, did you fab the motor mounts? or did you use some V8 mounts from a late model explorer?

Did you have any problems with clearnace on the exhaust manifolds? HEaders or stock manifolds?

What computer did you end up running and how well did it interface with the stock wiring harness for the gauges etc.

Did you change the plug-in for the computer or did it match up OK?

What radiator did you go with? I'm planning on using the electric fans from a late model mustang and probable a Griffin Radiator.

Any gotcha's that I should be looking out for?

My motor will ship today, so I hope to start installing it by Monday.

Other notes...

Got the "SVO" diffy cover with the stud girdle. I thought it replaced the existing bolts with studs, but that is not the case. It actually has studs that press against the carrier bearing caps and provide added support there. This is a very heavy duty cover, but I will miss the smiley face on my old cover.

Pick-up the Detroit today, and I recieved the MAC ceramic coated headers.

Whew. I miss my truck.

Rob, I just bought the stud kit from the company who makes the SVO cover for Ford. Remember my TA cover? That's the same thing with a different name. In fact, as of yesterday I have a SVO cover, because I had some problems with my old cover. TA Performance is located in Scottsdale so I drove by and picked up a new cover and a stud kit.

Ford/Dana Stud Kit TA 1816 4 stud kit, replaces stock bolts on carrier bearing caps 19.95* whn purchased with cover, 24.95 when purchased seperately. (480) 922-6807

Tell them I sent you, I would love for those guys to advertise here :D

For those who are interested:

The TA Rear End Girdle is based on the Geise Girdle developed in the early 1970's. TA
Performance bought the remainder of the patent, and began to produce an improved and upgraded
version of the Girdle. After refusing to produce a less expensive, thus lower quality cover for large
parts wholesalers, TA Performance soon found that copies of their cover were being produced and
sold. Though the other covers look very similar to the TA cover, many important qualities are
different. An independent dealer that was considering which product to promote, purchased one of
each cover and performed his own tests. He placed each cover, one at a time in a hand operated
press, and pumped the jack, the "copy" cover began to flex while he was still able to pump. The TA
cover never showed any signs of flexing, even after it was impossible to pump the handle any further
and with the 200+ pound man hanging off of the pump handle. Also the fit and finish, and quality of
hardware was noted, so the TA cover sold itself. Recently TA Performance did a quick check of this,
by using an air powered press, at 10,000 PSI of pressure there was no signs of flexing. The TA cover
is also the only cover to be tested and approved by a leading auto manufacturer. Ford Motor
Company spent 2 years evaluating the TA cover and approved it for their SVO line. Yes, the SVO
cover is made by TA Performance, for Ford. TA Performance produces their own covers at their
Scottsdale, Arizona facility, utilizing CNC milling machines. The TA cover also uses specially made
hardware that meets the highest specifications, no "off-the-shelf" hardware is used, everything from the
washers to the mounting bolts to the load bolts, were designed and manufactured with the ultimate in
strength and durability factored in, for a cover that will perform every time the throttle is floored, and
everytime that the wheels bite hard or break free, you will be glad that the Ultimate bolt on support
for your rear end is silently at work. Even the gaskets are specially made, to ensure the highest sealing
capabilities and to reduce dissimilar (galvanic) metal corrosion. TA Performance produces and sells
thousands of covers annually, through a network of dealers and directly to the public, so ask your
dealer who manufactures their cover, and if they don't reply TA Performance, then you might be
buying a false sense of security. Our covers are used in applications as varied as the Motorsports
Industry itself... From Street Cars to 8 second drag cars, from weekend off road trucks to 700+ HP
Baja Trucks.

* The TA Girdles are made of 356 aircraft grade aluminum, heat treated to T6 specifications, each
cover is then stress relieved.

* The covers are machined using a 3 step CNC process, which ensures accuracy and quality.

* Each cover is hand deburred and inspected for the utmost in fit and finish. Then each cover is hand
assembled and packaged.

* All Girdles incorporate a Fill Port and a Drain Port for ease of servicing.

* All Girdles incorporate 2 load bolts with swivel "feet" for supporting the bearing caps.

* All Girdles increase fluid capacity approx. 1/2 quart.

* All Girdles show a decrease in operating temperature

* Average weight, 7 lbs

* Improves Undercarriage Appearance

Good News..Thanks Rick

I just ordered the Stud Kit ( Now I can quit working out )

I mentioned this website when I ordered it.

The cover goes for $159.00 from them plus shipping. No Tax outside AZ. I paid $189 plus Tax waitied 4 days to pick it up. This is a better deal. Not to mention the assurance of a stronger rear end.

I would recomend the Stud Kit as well if you are doing a gear swap or anythin where you remove the carrier.

Just a FYI for everyone. You don't need to remove the carrier or the caps to install the studs. The studs only need 10ft lbs of torque to be installed in the case then the nuts get torqued to 90lbs.

I took the stud threaded two nuts on the end leaving as much thread below them exposed as possible. I then torqued the studs down to 10lbs. Next, I used an open end wrench to hold the bottom nut while loosening the top one. This keeps the torque on the stud and lets you remove the nuts. Do this to all the studs then install the washers over the caps, install the nuts and torque to 90lbs.

Lets see if I am getting this. I was wondering if you could take a picture and post it here. Thanks for your help.

Lost......

Is the girdle the cover? Studs? Carrier bearing caps?
What is all this actually...I've yet to tinker with my rear end.....I'd be nice to understand all this, cause this spring I wanna do gears and lockers...and want all the strenght and best possible parts available!
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back