302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for me to live upto my name ( Sorta, anyway ) My money definately "GoesFast" out of my wallet.

My conversion project is now underway. I have actually spent money.

I have a local Speed Shop doing the work and I am being active in teh process.

The goal. A 302 F.I. motor and an AOD automatic tranny.
The motor will give me about 275 HP at the crank. Should have plenty of torque. The AOD has a 2.48 first gear and a a 33% overdrive in forth. With 5.13 gears ( Yep ) and 35" tires I'll be turning 2300 RPM at 70 mph. 2100 RPM if I have 4.56 gears. The tranny is fully locked in 3rd & 4th gear so no slippage and little heat.

Price.. So Far

Motor & Shipping $1600
306 CI, freshly built plus a few extras thrown in for the conversion. Double hump Oil Pan,All Accessories mounts,Hi Flow water pump, etc.

Tranny $1300
Rebuilt No Core charge Over the counter. Included a Torque Converter and the linkage to fit a late Model V8 explorer for shifting.

Advanced Adapters $575
I got the 50-8404 9" adapter. This includes the new outut shaft so the T-fer case will fit. Should put the Transfer Case about 1" maybe 1/12" longer than stock. My drive shaft was very close to being to short after the 5.5" lift so I may not need a new back shaft. The front one may be in trouble....

Pictures will be shown we the action starts. It will be about 5 to 6 weeks before the Motor & tranny are finished.

Anyone have a cheap $300 car for sale? I'm tired of walking....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gofast...

I hope I make it to the moab also..

I don't have much time, but i'm gonna try to answer a few of your questions.

My motor mounts, 4 core radiator and headers are all from Dames Duff, they make a kit for the v8 conversion. The only thing that I had a hard time with was the header. didn't have much room. I had to put one side on before mounting the engine. A oil filter relocator also comes with the kit.

I'm not running a computer, the motor that i'm using is a 1979 302. no need for a motor. I hate them sencors anyway. Running an old motor just means more power and cheaper to get a lot for power. By this time next year I should have over 500 hp.

I'm not done with the radiator asembly yet. i'm gonna try to run a regular fan, but if that doesn't work, I know that James Duff sells one.

My only problem is gonna be the power steering, i'm gonna use the stock one till it gives up on me. And that probly won't be long.

If there's more you wanna know, feel free to ask.

When you lower your motor into the truck, turn it sideways till your about half way in then start turning it back. That's a lot easier then tilting it upside down. Make your motor mount holes bigger then they should be, then when the motor is in place make a washer that will cover the hole and weld it in all corners. That will just save you some time.

Good luck on the install. I'm still working on mine and running into a lot of little problems.

Take care.

P.S. you also wanna make sure you get the right oil pan, it's got a dip in the middle. You can buy one from James Duff or you could do like I did and get one of a early ford truck. the one that I got was nearly in perfect condition and cost me next to nothing. If you get one of an early truck. Then make sure to plug up the dip stick hole. Because I think that your new motors dipstick goes through the timing cover, unless you want two dipsticks.

Are you planning on boring your motor, are you gonna shave it for more compression ? are you gonna use aftermarket pistons ? what about a cam and lifters ? roller rockers ? aluminum heads, port and polish ?

[Edited by Oknut on 12-05-2000 at 04:32 PM]

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

svocover.jpg

This is the SVO cover, the T/A cover is less expensive, but exactly the same except for the name. The extra bolts with locking nuts are there to preload the bearing caps, the cover itself acts as the girdle.

The stud kit replaces the bolts that hold the bearing caps in place. The are located under the cover.

Hope that helped.

Rick,
Since I am adding the new gears and locker Monday or Tuesday is this something you would recommend me to add to mine?
Even though it will be mainly a daily driver?

Re: Gofast...

Originally posted by Oknut
I hope I make it to the moab also..

P.S. you also wanna make sure you get the right oil pan, it's got a dip in the middle. You can buy one from James Duff or you could do like I did and get one of a early ford truck. the one that I got was nearly in perfect condition and cost me next to nothing. If you get one of an early truck. Then make sure to plug up the dip stick hole. Because I think that your new motors dipstick goes through the timing cover, unless you want two dipsticks.

Are you planning on boring your motor, are you gonna shave it for more compression ? are you gonna use aftermarket pistons ? what about a cam and lifters ? roller rockers ? aluminum heads, port and polish ?

[Edited by Oknut on 12-05-2000 at 04:32 PM]

I got the " Double Hump Pan" I ordered a crate motor with the oil pan with a dip in the middle, High flow water pump and all the accessorie brackets. My motor was supposed to be here a few weeks ago, but he had trouble find the brackets I wanted. I'l verify it shipped in the A.M.

I ordered it .30 over so I have a 306 now. I also wanted an RV cam to make more torque and had him use ARP rod bolts. The heads are stockers "EX Heads" I think. Good torque, don't really flow to good over 5K RPM.

I'm sure the " Good Stuff " will happen later to this motor. I have a very solid lower end for now.

I'm still looking at fabing my motor mounts. I can't help but wonder why late model V8 mounts wont work if there off an explorer.

Still up to my neck getting this project togather. It may come home with me soon if I don't start seeing some progress from my " Shop Guy ". He mentioned Jan 15 dates today and I blew a gasket.

Well Rick, thanks! I'll probably end up getting the SVO just cause it's svo.....Bearing caps? Those are? And what are they two stud/nut things on the outside of SVO?
Thanks,
Pete

Pete, I suggest you look at a shop manual to see what the bearing caps are. All I can say is that they are the caps that hold the bearings in place. Look at a diagram of a rear end.

"The extra bolts with locking nuts are
there to preload the bearing caps, the cover itself acts as the girdle."

Perry, I reccomend the cover for any 8.8" that's used offroad. The guys at ARB believe that's what's kept my Airlocker together when others broke under the same conditions.

[Edited by Rick on 12-05-2000 at 08:01 PM]

Rick,
That's exactly why I bought one, because you didn't have any problems with your setup. I don't want any problems with mine.

Part II on a new thread.

I started a new thread on the conversion. I'm hoping to elimnate any bad Karma that may linger on the old thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22240

Due to some problems looming on the horizon I'm pulling my vehicle out of the shop and will do the install myself. Check-in on the other thread to see prgress when it happens.

I plan to post a summary when this gets finished.

Thanks everyone for there input here.

Gofast,

Sounds like you got a nice project going, how far did you have to reach into your pocket book ?

Alas..If I were only a rich man ( Or adopted by one )

I havn't added up all the damage yet, but I'm easy into the 5K range. I'm sure i could have saved some money on this but the lure of lockers and gears didn't help.

I know I have $3000 in the motor and tranny including the adapters, but not the motor mounts.

That's about the same amount that I have into my engine so far. I have plans to spend a lot more money. My next step is a dana 60 front end, lockers, gears, blower, and nos and arma coating the whole truck. then I will call it good.

Bump.....

There is a lot of good info for links in here.

Where is the project at Rob?

Rob, would stock headers off a 87 stang fit?
I'm told they're equal to Shortie headers

Status time.....

RFR The headers depend on how far they stick out from the head. If they tuck in tight against the block they should do fine. The problem with my stock manifolds and it was worse with the MAC's was the flange was sitting right on the frame rail. Some motor mounts may place the motor higher so you have more room. Let's see how Dogman's headers turn out.

Project update!

The motor and driveline is in. The exhaust system is installed.

My next task is;

1) Mounting the radiator
2) Mounting the intake system. Routing the tube and Mass air stuff.
3) Mounting the water pump
4) Mounting the Amsoil remote dual filter, need to get 90 degree fittings for the oil lines
5) Relocating the battery for clearance on the airfilter.
6) Install dipsticks on tranny and block
7) Get it started! I want an ASCE certified mechanic to bring it online and then dyno tune the computer.

I'm considering farming this all out though. I'm having real issues with time and I want this done by the end of March at the latest. I'm open to any suggestions if you know shops within an 8 hour drive of Dallas!

GoFast,

There are two places I can think of here in Austin that might be able to help you out. I have good experience with both of them. One is Scott Hamett @ Austin Mobile Mechanics. 512-477-9414. He's the guy who installed my blower and is great. He might give you some pennies off 'cause I referred you. Second is Autotek, www.autotekinc.com . That's where I got Splat dynoed and where I was initially going to get the blower installed. It turns out I met Scott right before I was going to start the project. Autotek specializes in hi-po vehicles and can dyno test to your heart's content. It's the best dyno in Austin.

If you want to get it all done at one place, do Autotek. You can probably drive in, drop the truck off, and pick it up in a week. If you take it to Scott you'd then have to take it to Autotek anyway if you want it dyno-tuned. Hehehe, if you get it dynoed at Autotek, that'll be their second ever Explorer dynoed! :) Hmmm, maybe they could throw Splat on the dyno again for cheap when you're getting tuned.....referrals are worth a lot to them.

Good luck!

Splat being bad again???
BAD SPLAT,
BAD SPLAT, BAD SPLAT!!

Make sure whichever one you go to have a tall garage door. Remember Splat is still close to the ground...

Gofast--With the V-8 in, how much lower does you front end sit, if any...
Thanks
Pete

Alec, Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call on Monday. Dogman is checking with his mechanic too.

RFR.. The truck sits at the same level so far. I still need to add another 100lbs of accessories and then the hood too. I don't really expect it to drop any though. I only added 100 lbs with the 302 and my springs are the heavier rated ones form Superlift.

of course it's only temporary till I get the solid axel front end. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back