302 for a 89 ranger super cab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 for a 89 ranger super cab

wolfe1967

Reaction score
City, State
Dirty Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
was wondering if the 302 would fit to the stock 5spd trans in my ranger.....i been checking out alot of forums some say it will some it will not. either way i want the V8 power....i really want to stay with a standard trans...... :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No

Search for more. You can have a 5 speed and a 302 no problem, just takes planning.

I had a 1989 Supercab and I installed the EFI 5.0 and T5 trans from a 93 mustang. The V8 will not mate to the ranger trans. I used the ranger trans crossmeber, but I had to move it and drill new holes in the frame to mount it. You will need to mount and external slave cylinder on the trans to move the clutch fork. The ranger uses a hydrali clutch and the mustang uses a cable. If you decide to do it, keep up informed. If you have any other questions let me know. marktaylor69@cavtel.net

i own a 92 ranger and i have been pondering the same issue of putting a 5.0 'stang motor in it. did u have to custom make motor mounts? any other real tricky issues you ran into other than the slave cylinder issue? i'd love to read about some v8 conversions. this 2.3L sucks nuts!

Back