302 in a '91 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 in a '91 Explorer?

Hedshot

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am in a pickle...a couple of weeks ago I wrecked my '96 F-150 it has a 302 engine in it with lots of extras including:

mustang heads
Edelbrock intake
BBK throttle body
Shorty headers
Under drive pulleys
Roller rockers
Comp. chip
Shift kit

I was told that the truck is not fixable, but since the engine and transmission seem to be fine that I should just find another F-150 or Bronco with a 302 and just swap out the engine and transmissions....but I have been unable to find one. My brother has a '91 Explorer 4x4 sitting at his house with a blown engine. My question is, is it possible to put my 302 in his explorer? Any help would be great...

Hedshot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in a pickle...a couple of weeks ago I wrecked my '96 F-150 it has a 302 engine in it with lots of extras including:

mustang heads
Edelbrock intake
BBK throttle body
Shorty headers
Under drive pulleys
Roller rockers
Comp. chip
Shift kit

I was told that the truck is not fixable, but since the engine and transmission seem to be fine that I should just find another F-150 or Bronco with a 302 and just swap out the engine and transmissions....but I have been unable to find one. My brother has a '91 Explorer 4x4 sitting at his house with a blown engine. My question is, is it possible to put my 302 in his explorer? Any help would be great...

Hedshot

Yes it is possible.. Savage Wolf has done it..

YES
With a bunch of work and a little $$$$

The 5.0L into Ranger/explorer is as old as the ranger and Explorer

You need:
dual sump oil pan
oil filter re-location
AC box cover mods/AC delete
Custom radiator/make radiator fit (hack up rad support)
mustang convertible mounts or custom engine mounts
wiring/exhaust/plumbing/linkage

Try a search! there are 1000 ways to get a 5.0L into that explorer, carbed, EFI, auto, stick, 2wd, 4x4, they have all been done 1000 times

each converison is a bit different so there is no real one answer to your question.

I wish I had a recked f150 with a 302!!!

YES
With a bunch of work and a little $$$$

The 5.0L into Ranger/explorer is as old as the ranger and Explorer

You need:
dual sump oil pan
oil filter re-location
AC box cover mods/AC delete
Custom radiator/make radiator fit (hack up rad support)
mustang convertible mounts or custom engine mounts
wiring/exhaust/plumbing/linkage

Try a search! there are 1000 ways to get a 5.0L into that explorer, carbed, EFI, auto, stick, 2wd, 4x4, they have all been done 1000 times

each converison is a bit different so there is no real one answer to your question.

The problem is that I have no way to do this myself and no clue how to do this either...I will be paying a mechanic to do it for me and if it is going to be to expensive I may just have to wait till something more feasible comes my way

mechanic to do conversion = $5-10000 would be my guess.
Not feasible.

Also with the F-150 5.0L drivetrain the explorer will be about as fast/powerful as it was with the 4.0L OHV V6, something to consider.

I would do the conversion for $5000 labor :)

Well that kinda puts a damper on my parade. I was going to take out 2-3k and buy the explorer for $500 and have the rest for engine swap but looks like I will be a little short.....oh well I guess I just continue to wait for a cheap f-150 or bronco to come my way

Well that kinda puts a damper on my parade. I was going to take out 2-3k and buy the explorer for $500 and have the rest for engine swap but looks like I will be a little short.....oh well I guess I just continue to wait for a cheap f-150 or bronco to come my way

OR do it the way others have done. Grab some friends that know how to do this kind of stuff and have them come over and help you out. Not to mention you'll get a learning experience.

I don't really have any friends that know anything about cars either...thats why I was looking for help on here

Also with the F-150 5.0L drivetrain the explorer will be about as fast/powerful as it was with the 4.0L OHV V6, something to consider.

his 302 has mustang heads, and if they are off of a 87-93 5.0 then it should be a lot faster than a 4.0

With no experience or knowledge or time, you'd be better off not trying this. Now if you wanted a project to putter around with over a year or so, then definitely try it, though it will still cost you $$ in more parts (still not a bolt in) and doing things over 2 or 3 times until you get it right.

Keep a look out for another F150 or Bronco as you'll have a direct swap and you will still learn a TON while doing it. From that learning experience, you'll then be able to decide whether a different swap is in order next time around.

+1 on finding another F-150. When I swapped the 302 into my 84 Ranger, it took about a month to get everything lined out right and that was in a shop that had everything. I was lucky though, I did all of the work and had a pretty smart buddy helping me. Fabrication is expensive if you have to hire out for it.

Going to check out a '90 bronco 4x4 later on today....the ****ty thing is my tranny has a shift kit in it that I will not be able to transfer....hopefully I can find somebody with a 2 wheel drive f-150 to take it off my hands

87-93 5.0 then it should be a lot faster than a 4.0

in my experience many people have gone with the HO Mustang 5.0L or F-150 5.0L (speed density) into their 4500# explorer only to find out it moves about as fast as it did with the 4.0L

Now dont get me wrong I would rather have a V8 drivetrain in my truck, just dont expect it to be a rocket now because it has two more cylinders, the 4.0L OHVis a torquey V6 and moves the heavy SUV quite well

Well everybody thank you for your input but I went with that bronco that I checked out....its got 337,800 miles on it so hopefully I can get my engine swapped on it soon....(it has a little oil leak)

You should def so that engine swap yourself and take pics along the way and make a thread in the projects area. That would def be something I would check out on a normal basis. Good Luck man!:D

I have no way to lift the engine out of my truck...and I would be afraid to screw up something that is not already screwed up

I have no way to lift the engine out of my truck...and I would be afraid to screw up something that is not already screwed up

Im guessing you dont have a engine lift...Do you not know anyone that has one? As far as taking it out without damaging anything, its not as bad as you think. Ive removed a few motors and you just have to make sure that everythingis dissconnect that needs to be and keep your eyes open well you are pulling it out. If you dont have a lift, you can usually pic them up fairly cheep, buck fifty or so.

Update

Ok well I bought a 90 bronco and the engine swap is being done this week...but the question is my 96 F-150 has a shift kit in it....would that be compatible with my 90 bronco?
(I know this is an explorer forum....but Im not really having any luck finding a good bronco forum)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tacking on this thread. is there anyone in the maryland "area" that would be willing to aid me in my own 302 or 351 conversion in my 93 explorer!???? sometime within the next year or so

Back