• Register Today It's free!

302 into an x

explorer94

Reaction score
City, State
south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
iem going to be getting a 92 x and plan on moding the crap out of it :D . Iem plaining on droping a 302 with a c4 trans. my question is how much moding would it take and would it work to drop it in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search, and you shall find.

Honestly, there are probably close to 50 threads devoted to following this buildup. Just look first next time, K?

well if you look and cant find your answer, then dont be afraid to ask. That is what these forums are here for.

sorry i cant find it, but its a 302 from a 1974 ford conversion van and i was woundering if alot of the parts would fit right into the x or not and how easy it would be to drop it all in?

sioux falls huh? sweet man! sorry i dont have any experience with the 4 to 5.0 swap. But I will tell you that with a little bit of lovin the 4.0 can be one heck of a powerplant, in my opinion anyways. good luck though! let me know when you make some progress and we can go wheelin! (assuming that you plan to wheel? and not race?)

-joe

You need to search, your question is too broad.
Yes the 5.0L can go into the explorer, with any 5.0L conversion into a ranger/Ex there are things that need to be done.
Searching will get you started in the right direction.
This question is just asked too often to answer every time.

true but the engines blown and i need something new with more torq. the 4.0 in my red x just dosent have enough power sometimes

Then you should know what you are getting into if you do decide to go with a V8.
How much time and $$$ you put into your V8 conversion depends on alot of things.

First, what will the truck be used for once completed?
Do you have to pass state emissions requirements?
What transmission do you want?
Do you want to keep air conditioning, cruise control, etc.

These drive what 5.0L drivetrain you choose to swap in.
That desicion determines how much $$$ you are oging to spend
Then you decide if you want to chop up the truck to fit it in there (notch the frame, modify the radiator core support, fab a trans x member, hammer the firewall, notch the heater plenum, etc)

Basically all 5.0L conversions into your 94 truck will require:
dual sump oil pan
oil filter re-location
custom/mustang engine mounts
trans mount re-location
heater plenum notch
serpentine front dress on the 5.0L
custom radiator/chopped core support
exhaust manifolds/headers

then you have to figure out what trans you want behind the 5.0L and how/if it mates to your transfer case. Figure out how to shift it

Then there is engine/trans controls.
Carbed? EFI? MAS? etc....

Plan to spend anywhere from $2000-15000 to complete the conversion.
Can take from 2 weeks to two years.

You see without searching your options are all over the map.
If you plan to attempt this then you should KNOW what you are getting into and why.
You should research the heck out of your options, luckily when it comes to putting a 5.0L into a Ranger or Explorer it has ALL BEEN DONE and it is covered online with pictures, but you need to have a starting point.

Back