• Register Today It's free!

302 lifter replacement!

Alaskakid87

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Xploder XLT 5.0 AWD
Has anyone replaced theirs yet? Even during rebuild? I have a bad lifter ticking issue in my 5.0 I just hope to gather some info to what I am up against if any of you could share what you went through and things to look out for please let me know thanks ahead of time!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone replaced theirs yet? Even during rebuild? I have a bad lifter ticking issue in my 5.0 I just hope to gather some info to what I am up against if any of you could share what you went through and things to look out for please let me know thanks ahead of time!!

I've never replaced a lifter on a 302, but I've done them on small block Chevy's. I don't imagine the job would be much different.

Over simplification:

1. Identify the bad lifter by removing the valve cover and checking for play at the tappet.

2. Remove the upper and lower intake manifolds and valley cover (if so equipped).

3. Remove the tappet, push rod and pull out the offending lifter and replace.

4. Reassemble in reverse order.

Not a quick job, but doable. FYI, a noisy lifter (while annoying) is not a serious problem.

Lower intake manifold is a pain to remove. Just do what I did with my one weak lifter - adjust them as good as you can and live with it...
Use an oil engine flush and after that use synthetic oil - that helped with my ticker.

the lower isnt so much as a pain to remove, but just takes a lot of time. the only other thing you have to do is remove the lifter retainer or as i call it spider (you'll see what i mean if you do it), and the "dog bone" as i call it as well. i also believe the rockers are torqued down as well, and dont really need adjusting when you put it all back together

Spider :)

SAM_0497.jpg

I've never replaced a lifter on a 302, but I've done them on small block Chevy's. I don't imagine the job would be much different.

Over simplification:

1. Identify the bad lifter by removing the valve cover and checking for play at the tappet.

2. Remove the upper and lower intake manifolds and valley cover (if so equipped).

3. Remove the tappet, push rod and pull out the offending lifter and replace.

4. Reassemble in reverse order.

Not a quick job, but doable. FYI, a noisy lifter (while annoying) is not a serious problem.

Awesome thanks for this info I already have the gaskets needed for the job just wanted to see what was Involved

Lower intake manifold is a pain to remove. Just do what I did with my one weak lifter - adjust them as good as you can and live with it...
Use an oil engine flush and after that use synthetic oil - that helped with my ticker.

Right before I bought my explorer from the transmission shop that rebuilt the tranny they put cleaner in there and it didn't help the only thing no one has done is tighten anything as far as I know that is..

the lower isnt so much as a pain to remove, but just takes a lot of time. the only other thing you have to do is remove the lifter retainer or as i call it spider (you'll see what i mean if you do it), and the "dog bone" as i call it as well. i also believe the rockers are torqued down as well, and dont really need adjusting when you put it all back together

Thanks and yeah I can't wait to get rid of my diesel tick loudest at idle but gets quieter as the rpms climb during normal driving conditions, both of my manifolds are on the schedule to be replaced as well because they are leaking and rusty and I am losing a lot of power when I try and get on it

Since we are on the subject will fox body 302 shorty headers even work for an explorer? Someone said they should but not sure if ou have heard this or not

Since we are on the subject will fox body 302 shorty headers even work for an explorer? Someone said they should but not sure if ou have heard this or not

nope. not even close. the only header that will fit with minimal or no issues are torque monsters

nope. not even close. the only header that will fit with minimal or no issues are torque monsters

Man.... I was afraid you would say that I figured with the little room I had they couldn't fit I just needed a second opinion and got it thank you!!

Back