302. need somethings answered | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302. need somethings answered

howdy,

i have a 86GT 302 engine that i will be converting to carb because i think it will be a little cheaper and wont be as hard.
but what my question is, is will i have to destort things, like the fire wall or anthing else to get it to fit in there?
and whats the best place to get the swap kit? i looked at kaufmann products and thay seem to have all the parts but are very pricey, so dos any one one any other explorer swap kits?
o-yeah and i will be converting my 4wd to a 2wd as soon as i get the parts off of kris.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if I remeber right there are atleast 2 threads on putting a v8 in a X, speedfreak has done 2 v8 swaps on trucks with no bodylifts, your best bet is to search the board for info, there is ALOT of it, there are a few threads that deal with just the swap components and whatnot also...

hey if your not going to help ,dont post. i have looked throught them and i didnt see anything on it.

ok I'll repost a bunch of info then, James Duff, L&L, Advanced Adaptors all sell v8 swap kits, firewall mods are just bending over a seam in tranny tunnel, you may need to mod the heater box to clear the pass side valve cover, if you use the longer front accessories on the v8 you may need to put the radiatior under the support and move your A/C coil to the front of the core support, if you go carbed you need to either remove the intank fuel pump and use a "flipped" mech fuel pump or just use the intank pump and a regulator to get the right pressure, you will still need to do alot of rewireing to get the dash/gauges to work right, I dont know about the a/c (if you have a/c) either....

Most of this info was found on this board

oh... also here are some threads with info in them...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

just found this one, has info even I can use :D
Dead Link Removed

Oh, and a whole thread just on swap components
Dead Link Removed

There is is only so much help anybody can give to someone on this board for conversion assistance. If you ask a direct question then maybe someone will answer it for you. You will be the person ultimately making the final decisions. I have done a 2wd conversion and a 4x4 conversion and took 2 completely different routes for them both. If I did it again I would definitly try to copy the 4x4 V8 conversion. It was far cleaner and easier an install.

what do youi mean, "try to copy the 4x4 V8 conversion." ?

well, if you follow his link in his Sig he has a writeup/photos on what he used on both swaps he did

What I mean is that the steps that I took to drop the 5.0L into my own truck would be the same as any other conversion I would tackle. I prefer the engine style ('91-'93 T-bird/Cougar,'94-'95 Mustang, mine is a '93 Cougar) as compared to the older 5.0Ls. It was more designed for a smaller engine compartment like the X's. I like the mounts that I made but I am actively looking for a way to improve the rubber part of the mount, I think the engine moves around alittle too freely. I wouldn't change the hedders (Ford Motorsport) or the tranny (custom AOD with wide ratio gear set). I didn't have to do much tranny housing modifications either, just the typical flatening of the seam. I even prefer the '93 Cougar wiring I used over the MAS Mustang wiring, which I have used in the dozen or so 5.0L conversions into other vehicles. All of this is of course just an opinion and probably doesn't help you at all.

By the way Savage Wolf, how is your conversion coming along?

check my thread =)

Back