302 question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 question

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
I'm tearing down a 83 302 to put in my ex and on the bottom of the block where the pan bolts up it is stamped m I'm just wondering what that stands for

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it isn't a "W" for Windsor?

Could of been a friend trying to say its a aftermarket block

It isn't important unless the block is unknown. It'll be about the application, truck or car etc.

If that is an 83 engine, I'd pass on it for anything but a bone stock original application usage. The later roller 302's are far better choices for street use. Any roller cam 302(even stock) will outperform the flat tappet cams enough for everyone to notice. Give that away and buy a roller 302 block or engine to start with, it should only cost $50-$200 depending on being a bare block, or whole engine with HO pistons(1987-1993).

I have a friend who had 3-4 of those mid 80s' 302's, from Lincolns mostly. He gave away all but one, and just hasn't found someone to take that one yet. He has two spare 302 HO's, a 94 Cobra 302(that I'll get to rebuild(trade for an Explorer 302 I let him have)).

Spend the time to find a roller 302, it's absolutely worth it. Only if you go over 400rwhp would you ever need to think of a better 302 block. Leave the non roller blocks for original vehicles, or the super rare Mexican blocks for mid range power racing.

Back