302. spring over, straight axle. what more can i ask | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302. spring over, straight axle. what more can i ask

this summer my dad promised me we will throw a 302 in my 94 sport. We are using the straight axle from his cheeroke up front. and a spring over conversion in back. I was just curious as to how much lift a spiring over will give you??? i already have warrior shackles. ohhh yea and another question, how small will my 32.00 x 11.50s look with all that lift? am i going to have to change the driveshaft length because of the pinion angle???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen many threads on here that explain all that you are looking for. With the 302 swap it would be highly advisable to install a 2" body lift for firewall clearance. The spring over will net you about 5-6". With the body lift, spring over, and Warrior shackles, you will have about 9" of total lift. Yes your 32s will look very small. Check out JoshC's explorer to see how the cherokee axle fits under the X. You will need a new driveline because of the lift. This ought to give you a good start.

what sixe tire should i run then???? and would it be so bad as too put a 3inch BL because there about the same price so why not get an extra inch for free????

My advice would be to attack each project one at a time. Neither of them are a "go out and throw it in" kinda project. Either looks like a good summer project, not both.

I wouldn't even BEGIN to worry about tire size right now, that is the last of your concerns. You attack lifts and tires sizes in one of two ways: 1) You want to run this size tire, and you lift it to corfortably fit those tires. 2) You lift it as much as you want, then figure out the biggest tire you can run comfortably.

Personally, I would attack the SAS first. The SOA in the rear should give you about 5.5". BUT, you will probably find that you will need more lift than that for the front driveshaft, and other stuff, to clear nicely. This is why, when you read through the SAS threads here, that the final lift is MORE than enough to clear 35"s and 37"s. You will see people tell you how they now have 8", 10" or even 12" of lift. My SAS plan was to only go up about 6" (to match the SOA), but when said and done, it is prolly in the ballpark of 10". When you look at how much lift if created by doing a SAS, adding a body lift to that starts to look frivolous (and more dangerous). Also remember, that when you get into an SAS, you are looking at a ballpark price of $1000-$2500 just for the parts needed. Then you get into expensive tires, re-gearing, and lockers. In the end of it, you will prolly have $3000-$4000 in it (no labor, which will be A LOT).

Can't help you with the V8 swap, I know nothing about them except they get expensive also.

Very well put Robb.
As far as body lift, it's up to you. 3"BL won't give you the bumper brackets like the 2" will. I would only do a body lift for the added room needed for a 302 or Atlas II transfer case swap.
Doing the SAS will give you more room for the 302. Keep in mind the added weight when figuring out spring rates for the SAS. The 302 will require a new transmission, motor mounts, new radiator, adapter for transfer case, new driveshafts, plus a page full of add ons. There are a number of 302 and/or SAS explorers out there for sale. Check the For Sale threads. Might be an option and save some money before completely rebuilding your X.

my dad and i practically run a custom and dunebuggy shop..... i have helped put a 302 in anything from sandrails, conversions in cars, and the occasionall jeep. we are getting pretty good at it... i hve the straight axle, and everything needed to do it. all i need is a 302 and tranny. im lookin for a nice efi, possibly HO. my dad and i figured we could do it within a timeframe of 2 weeks or so... seeing how he doesnt have a job during the summer.... (he teaches advanced automechaninincs for ferris state). i only work weekends.. we will work day and night if we have to... i was just curious about how much lift, and the best way to do it...... ( i also like to brag about how fortunate i am)
:D ;) starting with another x is OUT OF THE QUESTION...

ROBB your point is.......i dont have a 3 inch BL but whenever i say ive got 32.0x11.5 tires and everyone always starts arguing and sayin i should have more lift with my ex for them...... so i just say i have 3 inch BL to avoide that..... ill give ya pics after the 302 and straight axle... i wont have to cover my A** then

you dont have to lie bout it ..... jsut say that that amount of lift is fine for you and that you dont want to get the 3in Body Lift right now............ i mean so what... do you really care wut they think ??

PEACE

Originally posted by redsport
ROBB your point is.......i dont have a 3 inch BL but whenever i say ive got 32.0x11.5 tires and everyone always starts arguing and sayin i should have more lift with my ex for them...... so i just say i have 3 inch BL to avoide that..... ill give ya pics after the 302 and straight axle... i wont have to cover my A** then
Well, now I am glad I spent the time and effort to type out 3 paragraphs worth of my advice.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Robb
Well, now I am glad I spent the time and effort to type out 3 paragraphs worth of my advice.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

It's OK Robb, someone will appreciate you someday. ;)

Redsport: Dude! Take it easy. Giving the fact that you asked the question first. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Robb, Alec, FAKRWEE, CoryL, Rick (just to name a few that I have talked to), Myself and hundreds of others have quite a bit of experience with Exploders or 4x4 building for that matter. Everyone will admit that a 302 or SAS swap is no small feat.

I'm happy for you and your dad that you have the knowledge and experience with V8 swaps. That will make it easier for you and someday you might be able to help someone else here. That's what a forum is for; to offer assistance or opinions, not to brag or bash.

Today I chatted with Rich from Baja Racing Products . He was the first ever to build a Pre-Runner Explorer. He's been building and racing for over 20 years. Still to this day he claims nothing as 'easy' or 'routine'.

Great Robb, now I have gone and typed three paragraphs only to promote carpal tunnel. :D

nah, 32's clear with a little lift. Hell, my truck came with 31's, and now I'm gonna attempt to squeeze 33's under it with 2" of lift. Looks like they will clear, but will have some rubbing. Good luck, sounds like you have a shop set up for that kind of undertaking

redsport you really need to chill out and listen, stop acting like the "16 yr old know it all" that no one wants to help out. It is much easier on this forum for people to ignore your questions and not post a response. Appreciate the advice you receive and act like an adult like the rest of us.............................enough said.

Back