302 Starting problems (PATS related . . . maybe) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Starting problems (PATS related . . . maybe)

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
There are a couple threads running on this conversion on this forum but am looking for some specific advice on a current problem.

The situation is that I am swapping a '00 Explorer 302 with 11k miles on it into an old Volvo. This engine has not run in 11 years. After chasing wiring problems to the point of putting it down for a few months I now have everything seemingly working. As of Saturday I finally got Henson Performance's custom tune to disable PATS to upload to the PCM.

I am now seeing electrical injector operation by seeing the PCM side of the injector drop from about 11v to 4-5v on a pattern appropriate for the starter rotation of the engine. That is for the first time. Based on that I make the assumption that the Cam Position Sensor is signaling the PCM for operation of the injectors. That does not mean that I have fuel actually spraying. There is a fuel pressure gauge permanently plumbed into the fuel supply line and it reads 65+psi.

The engine will start and run on starter fluid. That would imply that the ignition system is correctly functioning. On other cars I have been able to remove an injector and observe the spray but this one is on a rigid fuel rail inaccessible under the intake manifold and that is much more difficult.

The compression is very good as you would expect on a low mileage engine.

Compression, spark and fuel. This can't be this hard.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clearly the injectors are not opening since you have fuel pressure. You can ground the pulse side of the injectors to manually open them while it's cranking to see if the selected cylinder fires, then you would at least know that it's not sending a good signal, unless it doesn't fire. About all I got for now.

I've been following your threads; glad you're getting
closer to firing up the Volvo.

Could the cam position sensor be 360 degrees out
of phase? (CMPS not installed on the compression stroke)

I'm not one to say I know anything for 100 percent sure, but I've done a number of these cam sensor replacements of the entire unit because they get sloppy and tear up everything under that little cap, and I never line up anything. Just throw the new unit in however it drops in and never a second guess. That's Ex's with 5.0's, 4.0's, and same with 3.0's in the Taurus.

Everything on this 11k mile engine is as it left the Ford plant 13 years ago so other than electrical corrosion issues everything should be good.

The real question that is evolving is, short of pulling the top of the engine off to get to the injectors, how can I verify that fuel is being appropriately sprayed by the injectors?

Pulled a plug and it seems a little wet, but only a little.

Thanks for the comments.

Just curious now as to how long the Volvo has been sitting and the quality of the fuel in it?

Should still run, but yea, if you have ethanol in you're fuel there it definitely should be yellow already.

Back